Page 2 of 2
Mazda Projects \  My 91 B2200 FE3 :)

My 91 B2200 FE3 :)

Mazda Projects
views 13283
replies 17
following 7

sciroccoboi16v   +1y
Installed 4.778 gears in the back last night. In case anyone has done a write up, I didn't know about it and didn't follow it. wasn't a direct swap, may have been able to change the third member and go but the yoke on the Sportage front has the wrong bolt pattern and will need changing, and also my truck needed the abs tone ring on the carrier assembly. Which I just realized creates a problem for me swapping to LSD unless I want to keep abs... Which I do. I guess I will have to figure that out.

Anyone know anything about changing the Speedo drive gears after a rear end swap?
sciroccoboi16v   +1y
Well I went yarding today after deciding I wanted to know how fast I was going with the new gears sans GPS. The Speedo was way off. 19% off actually.

I took a few speedometer gears from the mazdas there, found the b2200 has 18 teeth on the Speedo drive. Tried a b2600 2x4 and it had 17 teeth. I needed more teeth so that wouldn't work. I was about to go searching all over when I decided to check and see if maybe the Sportage I pulled the gears from had a compatible Speedo drive.

I slid under and unscrewed the vss from the tail of the transfer case. The threading looked good, so there was just a matter of the gear itself and housing. Un bolted it and pulled it out. The gear is metal, 22 teeth and the housing is identical. I decided to do some quick math before my purchase. Original gear ratio was 3.909 new one is 4.778, dividing these two numbers gave .8181. The original gear with 18 teeth divided by the new gear with 22 teeth gives .8181 so it should be the same.

It was, GPS confirms the Speedo is accurate. I'm happy.
befarrer   +1y
WHats it like with the different ratio rear end? I am interested in doing this to my B2200. Do you have any pictures?
sciroccoboi16v   +1y
It's much quicker. It's a worthwhile upgrade now that I found a Speedo gear that works. The freeway rpm is like 1000 rpm higher though so if that bothers you be aware.

You have to swap the Kia pinion bearing for the one in your b2200 for it to work so you need a press if you plan on re using the bearing.

No pictures my phone was dead when I did the swap
befarrer   +1y
I got a rotary, so the more revs the better lol. I can hit 70MPH in 2nd gear lol, and my 5th gear rpm is too low for cruising (2000RPM @ 60mpg)
sciroccoboi16v   +1y
Yeah go for it. The hardest part was removing it from the Sportage, and pressing the bearing out and back on. Well that and figuring it out in the first place lol.
Gavinmosher   +1y
Probably no longer on here but how did you tie the coolant temp wire and the alternator wires into the mazda harness?