threads
Page 1 of 2
Mazda Engine General \  R2 Diesel Engine Questions ?

R2 Diesel Engine Questions ?

Mazda Engine General Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 5217
replies 19
following 3

aaron001au   +1y
Hi all i have a 2.2l R2 diesel powered b2200 just got a few question

Question #1 on my dash i have a " Belt " light that is on but both my timing and fan belt are new but yet the light is still on is there a special way to reset it / turn it off ? or should i just pull the globe out ?

Question #2 i seem to have a problem with my brakes , when the car is off then pedal is firm but as soon as you start the car and vacuum come in to play the pedal go's to the floor , the master cylinder and rear wheel cylinders are brand new , rear brakes are adjusted right, the booster was tested as fine , there is no air in the lines , but yet it still go's to the floor , im starting to think that its a vac pump problem but i don't wanna buy a new one if its not the problem , you can pump the pedal and it comes good but then sinks to the floor again

is there a way that i can test my vac pump to see if its working right and not making too much vacuum , what should a normal reading be ?

any one got any ideas ?

thanks in advance for all your help
cab+rider   +1y
Do you have a vacuum gauge tester? Is your brake booster connected to a vacuum pump off the engine pulleys?
aaron001au   +1y

I'll be getting a gauge tester in the next few days , the vac pump.is on the back of my alternator , and has 2 or 3 oil lines in and out of it , it connects to the booster via a rubber hose with a one way valve in side
cab+rider   +1y
Do you have a picture of the vacuum pump attached to the engine?
aaron001au   +1y

it look like this , this is not the one off my truck as its in a spot there it is hard to get a picture but this is the same as what is on it , it is mounted on the back of the alternator
post photo
cab+rider   +1y
I admit I've never seen a set with it attached to the rear of the alternator. I assume it uses the pulley of the alternator to spin the vacuum pump.

Judging by your user name are you out of Australia? Sorry if I'm mistaken...

You might not have a vacuum pump or brake booster problem. You mentioned the rear wheel cylinder job. Did you work on the front left and right caliper assemblies?
aaron001au   +1y

yer it spins off the pulley from the alternator and is oil feed, yes im in Australia , i haven't done the front calipers i was going to but then i thought if they hold good pressure when the truck is off they should be fine when its running or am i wrong ?

might just get them rebuilt it cant hurt to have them done
aaron001au   +1y
i just remembered that i had a old boost gauge that also reads vacuum in InHg ( inches of mercury ) so i hooked it up and its reading at 30InHg , but im not 100% sure what its ment to be at but that seems rather high , so it could be possible that my vac pump is stuffed and sucking the pedal to the floor and when i pump it its using the vacuum and making the pedal firm until i stop pumping ? i have attached a picture as well so you can see the gauge reading for yourself, let me know what you think ?
post photo
cab+rider   +1y
On a gasoline engine idling at 600 rpm the reading is 17 in.Hg.
At a 1000 rpm it's about 20 in.Hg.

You did mention you're waiting on a gauge tester maybe compare readings first and go from there.

Does the Brake Booster have a check valve in line with the vacuum hose?
aaron001au   +1y

it dose have a little one way valve in it , i hooked up the gauge sat in the cat and pumped the pedal and it dropped a fair bit after 2-3 pumps it was down to about 10in.Hg. and it was rock hard and at about 15in.Hg. it was a nice firm pedal