threads
Page 1 of 1
Mazda Engine General \  Speedometer Cable problem.. HELP!!!

Speedometer Cable problem.. HELP!!!

Mazda Engine General Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 3314
replies 5
following 3

budnikguy   +1y
Back into the Mazda scene after a loooong hiatus and digging my new to me 92 Mazda B2600i, even though it is an automatic. Anyway, having a problem with the speedo cable, not sure this was the right section to post this in, but if it needs to be moved, moderators, go ahead and move to the correct place. Bought the truck 3 weeks ago and the speedometer did not work, found that the speedo cable was broken just in front of where it connect to the second cable that connects to the tranny, so after finding one in the local yard, I installed it and rolled out to a working speedo, Ya! Well, after 5.3 miles it stopped working, and it had snapped at the gauge/cluster plug in..so, I figured that the one I pulled from the yard was already weakened. I went and got another one. Well, I installed this one, and 5.4 miles later it snapped at the gauge/cluster plug in also. Cannot figure it out, cannot be the speedo cable both times as I played around with the second one and feel confident it was a solid replacement and looked around a little and found this:

and this is from '06 with no response...

Can anyone help me out with this issue?! Any ideas?

btw it is a 92 Mazda B2600i, auto, w/ tach

Thanks
Adam
xjoewhitex   +1y
When you put the cluster back in after installing any of the cables.. did it happen to bind up at all while you were mounting it? If you get a kink in these cables and since they spin at quite a fast speed, it could easily break off at the end. A friend of mine put my 2600i cluster in his b2000 and since the speedo is mounted in a different spot it got bound up and broke off at the same spot yours did. Just be sure its easy in, easy out. Other than that I really dont know besides the connection at the tranny is bound?
mazdatweaker   +1y
pull out cluster

reroute cable

reinstall cluster
cherokeed   +1y
I just snapped mines as well today smh..... next I’ll reroute
Cusser   +1y
With a cluster with a tachometer, the speedometer cable NEEDS to be re-routed to the other side of the bracket so it doesn't bind and break. Do a Search on Google.
Page 1 of 1