Page 2 of 3
Mazda Wheels Tires \  Dayton tires and rims

Dayton tires and rims

Mazda Wheels Tires Mazda Tech
views 3713
replies 29
following 6

mercilessltd   +1y
Asked my buddy who's great with tires and he suggested that Falken are "junk." Local Pep Boys has a couple of Definity (read: Cooper) tires that are discontinued and on clearance. I've had good luck with my Futuras (which I believe are also Cooper made) on my Grand Am. On my second set and only had one issue in 9 years. I'll report back on how well they do after a while (if I remember ).
chaserjohndoe   +1y
Can't say why your "buddy" thought Falkens are junk, and used to install tons of them on import cars. I run Falken 912s on my B and love the grip and wear. They aren't that good in the snow but I expected that when I got them.

If you are running daytons they probably won't have the "look" you want but they are a good tire. The only tires I absolutely believe are junk are are Goodyear Wrangler Radials and Douglas x-tracs. Super cheap Wal-mart branded tires.
charlesskelter   +1y
1st - Whomever told you the wheels are generally larger, is an idiot. Most shops are afraid of wire wheels because they don't educate themselves. It's ridiculous. Whoever ripped the tire probably snagged the bead on the head by going to fast and not leveraging the tire in the correct spot. Yes, I've seen it and once damn near did it myself.

2nd - Falken are good dry all season tires. Excellent mix of grip, longevity and value.

3rd - Before you put a tire on that wheel you need to remove the rest of that silicone and clean the surface really well. Go to Lowes or Home Depot and get a few tubes of black silicone and a dispenser. Do a thick, tight zig zag pattern through the inner valley where the spokes and nipples meet. Now take a piece of thin cardboard and make a template to spread it through out as you slide it all the way around the wheel. Let it set, then you'll be good to have a new tire installed.
mercilessltd   +1y
Turns out the rims are reverse mount. That's why they were having issues.

Yeah, Charles, I should've done that. I will next time the tires come off.

It rains and snows a bit in KY so dry may be good but not good enough. Still, each have their own experiences.

But I certainly agree Douglas is junk. I worked at Wal - Mart TLE for 6 months. They're ALL garbage. I saw two GT style tires knot immediately within 25 miles of driving.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
charlesskelter   +1y
I never had a problem in the rain with my Falkens, I did not like their snow traction. I realized I put dry earlier. I wouldn't use them as winter tires, but I wouldn't use spokes as winter wheels either.
mercilessltd   +1y
Well Charles, gonna have to do it today. Spokes are leaking. Damnit

mercilessltd   +1y
Charles: you said black silicone. Like caulking or RTV?

mercilessltd   +1y
Looked it up. GE type 2 and some gorilla tape. I'll report back

charlesskelter   +1y
Whoa, what are you using the Gorilla tape for?
mercilessltd   +1y
" target="_blank

Should I not use the tape?