Page 1 of 3
Mazda Wheels Tires \  Dayton tires and rims

Dayton tires and rims

Mazda Wheels Tires Mazda Tech
views 3707
replies 29
following 6

mercilessltd   +1y
When I bought my B, it came with what appears to be a knock - off brand of Dayton classic - style rims with Dayton Daytona tires (195 60R14). Unfortunately these tires are from 2002 and dry rot got the best of one today.

I went to the local Ken Towery to get some replacement tires of the same size. However, the tire refused to go on. The tech informed me that Dayton rims, while they appear to be 14", are a hair bigger, and therefore tires from other brands (I was purchasing Bridgestone) will not fit.

They said the first bead went on okay but the second refused. When they went to remove the tire, they "split it in half" (their words). I've worked with tires before and had my fair share of stubborn tires, but ripping one in half?

Have y'all heard of this issue with Dayton (or knock - off brand) rims? Are they really different such that one must purchase Dayton tires?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
chaserjohndoe   +1y
they were probably too skinny for the wheel width. and yes I have had to cut 1 tire off of a wheel before it was an old indy profile tire that was 3-4" wider than the wheel but it was so old and stiff that it wouldn't bend at all.

If you are trying to use to daytons again I would step up to a 215/60r14 if its a 6-8" wide wheel. if its a 5-7" the 195/60r14 should fit without problems. I they can't mount it you need to find a different tire place that has better tire mounting machines.
dragginmazda86 (dave)   +1y
We sell the Dayton style knock off wire wheels, mostly 14x7's. We've never had an issue getting tires to mount up on them. We usually run Bridgestone or Hankook brands in 175/75/14 or 185/70/14 since most of our customers put them on Lincolns,Caddys, and older GM cars. Not sure why your tire guy couldnt get them on...

Heres a pic I just took of a set we have mounted and ready to go.
spacemonkee23   +1y
I have seen some STRETCHED tires fit rims that were too wide for them, especially in the VIP or drifting scene... I would guess that the shop screwed up and are trying to cover it up.

Or they just suck at putting odd tires on, shouldn't be a problem
mercilessltd   +1y
Thanks guys. I figured something was up since I couldn't find any info on it.

How would I measure to find if it's a 5-7 or 6-8?

mercilessltd   +1y
thread post photo

thread post photo

I know this isn't how you measure for tire size, but for reference.

thread post photo

chaserjohndoe   +1y
thread post photo

thread post photo

right way in red

if it is stamped 14x7 it is a 14x7
dragginmazda86 (dave)   +1y
MercilessLTD- The black rubber sealant that the manufacturer puts over the spokes is really ripped. Did the tire shop do that damage to the sealant? Just an FYI but if you do get tires mounted on that wheel the spokes might leak air due to the ripped sealant, if they do leak about the only remedy is to run inner tubes on them.
mercilessltd   +1y
Fuuuuuu

mercilessltd   +1y
Dave, I'm not entirely sure if they did that or not. The rims were not leaking before (truck sat for 6 months with no leaks), so if they do now, we'll know if they messed with them.

I'm looking at getting some Falken (Ze329) tires. Anyone have experience with Falken? I've always understood them to be a better than average, durable tire, but wanted everyone's opinion.