Page 1 of 1
Mazda 1.8L \  Electronic ignition swap

Electronic ignition swap

Mazda 1.8L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 2996
replies 1
following 2

ledevil   +1y
Ok so I had a whole electronic ignition "distributor, coil, cap, rotor, little external resistor for for coil" from a 86 Mazda b2000. I looked it over both distributors are identical only issue I saw was the B2000's gear has to be swapped with the 1.8's out of the Courier. I figured oh hell easy swap bolt in and go well I was wrong. I am now getting no spark heres a list of the the stuff I did PLEASE feel free to input where I went wrong if you know. Yes I searched and didn't come up with a straight answer to my question.
My truck is a 75 Courier 1.8litre
1. Removed Points Dizzy
2. Swapped Cam drive gears between the Electronic and Points dizzy.
3. Found TDC
4. installed Electronic Dizzy
5. Removed Points resister "Porcel Box do jab"
6. Connected two wires together that came off Porcel do Jab
7. Removed Points Coil
8. Installed Electronic Coil with same wires off Points Coil
9. Mounted my Coils little External Regulator thing
10. Ran wires in correct order 1342. 1 being my top left Where TDC is on my motor, 3 being top right, 4 being bottom right, 2 being bottom left. being my rotor turns Clockwise
11. Reconnected battery
12. Turned key on and nothing but turning over
13. Checked for Spark and no go
14. Made this post asking for help Laughing

Please only serious posts I really need to figure this out, once this is done then I'm onto my Power and Disk swap Twisted Evil If anyone has a simple walk thru/wiring diagram on how to swap over this conversion I would greatly appreciate it
Double check your coil has good earth and that your getting battery voltage at coil positive with the ignition is on and 10+ volts during cranking.... Sounds simple, but have you got the pick up wires from the dizzy to the coil the right way around? If you have a look at the module in the dizzy where the wires connect one should have an insulated boot on it, that wire needs to hook to the positive side of the coil. The other to the negative.
Also seeing as you swapped the drive gear, check that the rotor is spinning when you crank the engine, maybe the roll pin has broken or something along those lines.
If both those check out as OK, make sure your coil is good.
Provided all that is ok there's not much else besides the dizzy module....
Let us know how you go.
Page 1 of 1