threads
Page 1 of 1
Mazda 1.8L \  New guy here!!! Doing a 5 speed swap......

New guy here!!! Doing a 5 speed swap......

Mazda 1.8L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 844
replies 4
following 1

kaytbugsdad   +1y
I have a 1974 Courier (all stock except for a Weber carb), and was wondering...... Will the clutch out of the 4 speed work with the 5 speed transmission?? And if not, can I just swap the clutch fork and throwout bearing from the 4 speed to the 5 speed??? Any input would be greatly appreciated...... And the 5 speed came from a 1980 Mazda b2000 (2.0L, same block as mine).....
Post was last edited on Feb 21, 2016 12:02. This post has been edited 1 times.
kaytbugsdad   +1y
Finding out more new stuff...... driveshaft needs to be shortened 4 inches...... Clutch will work with new trans, but I'll have to make a small plate for the trans mount to bolt to the crossmember.....
sincitylocal   +1y
Customizing always presents stuff like this. The trans mount doesn't have to be very stout. I used 3/16 steel plate for mine... and that's for my V8 swap.
http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp357/SinCityLocal/TransmissionMount.jpg
Wait til you find your rpms are a lot less in 5th gear.
Post was last edited on Feb 23, 2016 03:02. This post has been edited 1 times.
kaytbugsdad   +1y
No need to make a plate anymore..... modified the mount to where it will bolt to the crossmember without any further mods....... dropping the driveshaft off tomorrow!!!!
kaytbugsdad   +1y
So much for no more mods!!! I had to flip the crossmember over and weld a plate for the mount cuz the trans was hitting the tunnel!!!! Everything else went in smoothly..... Now just waiting till Thursday for the driveshaft to be done.....
Page 1 of 1