threads
Page 1 of 2
Mazda 2.6L \  I BROKE IT!!!!!!! :( (timing)

I BROKE IT!!!!!!! :( (timing)

Mazda 2.6L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 1636
replies 11
following 3

b-t-s   +1y
(I hope this is the right place to post this)

I have a Mazda B2600i , I just bought it a couple weeks ago, it was running a little rough so I checked the timing, it was off by 13 degrees, I went to rotate the distributor (while watching the timing light) and I ran out of adjustment. I then pulled out the distributor to re timed it, #1 cylinder was at TDC, the gear mark was inline with the housing mark but yet the rotor was way off.
I even skipped the timing marks on the gear and distributor housing and lined up the rotor with the #1 plug wire on the cap. When I did that, the timing light showed it being in time but yet it would not fire.

I checked the firing order and made sure my wires were correct. I have pulled the distributor many times and re timed it and I never got anywhere.
This is just about my only vehicle so I need to get this fix ASAP.
I have timed lots of tractors and VW's and I never had trouble until now.

Anyone have any ideas?????
Thanks for any help
b-t-s   +1y
Oh, I forgot, it is a 1993
THANKS
Cusser   +1y
Are you aware that the rotor on a B2600i distributor can go on three ways? And only one is correct?
b-t-s   +1y

I tried all 3 ways, any idea which way is correct?
Thanks
scotch   +1y
It sounds like you are well versed at timing, but I'll ask just as a double check. Are you positive #1 was at TDC on compression stroke and not exhaust stroke?

When you align the timing marks on the distributor, and roughly center it within the adjustment range, the rotor should be a little past the #1 point on the cap, but then roll back towards the #1 point as the gears engage. #1 being at the 9:30-ish position when viewed from passenger fender.

When you were "off by 13 degrees", were you rotating the housing forward, so that the adjustment bolts were at the bottom of the adjustment slots? If so, sounds like you were 1 tooth off at that time. Most of the time I install the distributor, that's what I get on the first try.

When you align the marks on the distributor, hold roughly in the position as if you were going to install it, then put the rotor on such that it points towards the #1 position point on the cap.....9:00-10:00.
b-t-s   +1y
Thanks for the info, the distributor was rotated all the way clockwise and the bolts were all the way to the top of the slide/mounts.

I have been sticking my finger in the #1 spark plug whole, then slowly turning over then engine till it would blow air out, then I would slowly rotate it to the TDC mark on the pulley.

I'll mess with it some more, hopefully I'll get it, if not I can take a video of what I'm doing.
Thanks again
scotch   +1y
Sounds like you are doing it right then. I figured you were, but just thought I'd throw that out there. When you stab it in right, with the distributor roughly centered, the rotor should be pointing that #1 lead.
b-t-s   +1y

Rats.... I was hoping you were going to say that I was doing it wrong lol.
I also checked spark and it was good. I find it funny that it wont even fire? we pulled the bolts out of the distributor and had someone crank it over while I made a complete circle with the distributor and it never fired, sputtered or anything???

I'm wondering if something got unplugged with the fuel or something???. I'm going to try spraying starter fluid in the air intake and seeing what happens.
I'm about out of ideas.....

Thanks again for the help and info
Cusser   +1y

That's what I was going to suggest, that's always a good thing to try: isolate whether the issue is spark or fuel related. That's what our local radio mechanic always stresses.
scotch   +1y
If you have some MAF cleaner, you can fire a couple shots right into the intake of the air filter box. No need to pull things apart. It will run on the MAF cleaner just like ether or starter fluid.

What's curious is that from your initial post, it sounds like it was initially running good and then started to degrade from there. I doubt anything changed with the timing. You just happened to find it was off a tooth. So you probably do have a problem with fuel.

If it does run on starter fluid, then I would check the fuel pressure.

Low fuel pressure:
Fuel pump
Clogged filter
Clogged sock (pump filter in tank)
Pressure regulator
Also, another member just found a rusted out hole on the pickup line INSIDE the tank.... an internal leak that reduced the fuel pressure.

No fuel pressure
Fuel pump
Fuel pump fuse ("Engine" fuse in the cab)
Fuel Pump relay

You might also get ahold of noid light to put on an injector to make sure they are firing.