Mazda 2.6L \  Mazda just won't start

Mazda just won't start

Mazda 2.6L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 3026
replies 13
following 8

anthony   +1y
Hello,
I am a new member joining ya'll today. I wish I was joining under better circumstances but the truth it, I need some help. 1991 B 2600 with fuel injection and a standard transmission just died. I stopped at the cellular store to pay a bill and when I came out and tried to start up, it would just crank and crank and not start. It arrived at the store running perfectly. 80 dollars and a flat bed got me home where the mechanic who lives next door tried to diagnose the problem to no avail. The mechanic is basically sort of a shade tree mechanic but he has a full shop instead of the shade of the tree. However, he has no modern diagnostic testing tools at his disposal so he just did what he could. He put in new wires and plugs, pulled the distributor and put it back in to make sure timing was correct, compression test that was within normal limits, the fuel pump is working and the injectors have fire. The plugs have a nice fat spark too. Basically, the truck has air and fuel and fire and timing but it still won't start. Does anyone have an idea as to what this could be please? Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Tony
Cusser   +1y
Well, the B2600i has a timing chain, not a belt, so rules out timing belt failure.

I wish the "mechanic" had first checked compression, then spark and fuel, before throwing parts at it. Anyway, now if compression is OK, then spray in some aerosol starting fluid, jam down the pedal, and see if it starts even for a few seconds. Repeat. If it does start, even briefly, then there is a fuel issue.

If you have compression, spark at right instant, and fuel, it should start.
anthony   +1y
It needed wires and plugs anyway so those were put on first.
The truck will not even sputter with starting fluid sprayed in.
The mechanic has thrown in the towel and the truck is back at my home. He was pretty cool and only charged me for plugs and wires. The only option I have now is the Mazda dealership which is 45 minutes away........I hope they tow Seriously, I'm sort of handy with repairs and want to try and avoid the long tow and cost to the dealer...try to fix this on my own
chilnviln   +1y
what aboot the safety switch at the clutch pedal? I know for sure my 86 b2000 did not have one but my 90 b2200 did. also had a 97 Hardbody which had one. Possibility?
scotch   +1y
Since it's turning over, the starter inhibit/interlock switch is good. So that's not a concern.

I would not have pulled the distributor since it was running fine when you shut it down. Short of a complete timing chain failure, there is nothing that could have changed with respect to timing that would cause a truck to go from running fine to a no-start after shutting it down. But now that the distributor has been out and back in.....

Are you certain you he had the timing set right when he put it back in?

Positive #1 cylinder was at TDC?

TDC on compression stroke (not exhaust)?

This sounds like the first ECM failure I ever had way back in 1995. Came back to the truck the next day and it started right up and ran a couple of hours before the same problem again. So, I would pull the ECM (behind the passenger side kick panel), pull the cover off, and check for any signs of leakage around the two big capacitors that are on the board. If the area surrounding them is not squeaky clean like the rest of the board, then they are leaking and that is likely the cause of your problems.

The only thing that is strange in your case is that you say you have air (& compression), fuel, and spark, then you should have ignition - provided the spark is delivered at the right time. Obviously you had a problem other than timing. But now that the distributor has been out and put back in, after I looked at the ECM, I would check (or re-check) the following items.

1. Make sure the timing is set properly. You need to make sure that #1 is at TDC compression before you re-install the distributor. Then make sure the two dots are aligned and that the distributor is roughly centered within the adjustment range when you re-install it. If it's a tooth off, you might not get ignition. Also, make sure that new wires were installed in the correct order. Firing order is 1-3-4-2. #1 Cylinder should be at the 9-10:00 position when viewed from driver side fender. There are many detailed threads on here showing the timing process.

2. You said that the pump is running and the injectors are firing? How did you confirm that? With a noid light? Or evidence of fuel in the cylinders and on the spark plugs? If you can get access to a fuel pressure gauge, I would check the fuel pressure. I doubt the pressure regulator failed while you were in the store, but without adequate fuel pressure, it's not gonna start.

3. Even if your fuel pressure was bad, it should have started or at least fired when you tried the starter fluid. So this leads me to believe the spark is weak or coming at the wrong time. In addition to the ECM, the spark is also controlled by the ignitor module (larger black box on the bracket with the coil.) It's an extension of the ECM. If you are getting spark, then it's probably OK. But I would keep it in mind. There is not much you can test on it.

4. Check the voltage getting through the main relay. You can check that on the black/yellow stripe wire on the green 6 terminal connector near the wiper motor. You obviously have voltage getting through but low voltage can cause you grief. With the key on, it should read the same as your battery voltage.

5. Check for codes. Ground the single green connector near the wiper motor and then turn the key to "ON", but don't try to start it. If the engine light goes out and then start blinking, count the number or long and short blinks.

6. Try unplugging the electrical connector to the Mass Air Flow sensor and try to start the truck. It's the box right after the air filter housing.
mymmeryloss   +1y
Im with scotch. Sounds like an ecm problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
anthony   +1y
Hi Scotch,

Thank you ever so much for the post. I'll get back with a longer reply after I get outside and try a couple of these things. I too wish the guy had not pulled the distributor but I can understand his frustration at being unable to find anything wrong and he was trying to save face. Thank you again Scotch and everyone for reading this.

Tony
Cusser   +1y
Remember: the B2600i disributor rotor can go on three ways. And only one of those ways is correct.

The incorrect orientations could cause the spark at the wrong instant.
anthony   +1y
I found a leaking capacitor on the ECM. Luckily, the local AUtozone can have one here by tomorrow.

I hate throwing $305.00 plus tax at something without knowing it really is the cause of the trouble but I'm going to take a gamble.
Unless someone here has one for sale

The part is a re manufacture by Cardone with part number 72-7009.

Hopefully, this does the trick.
Thank you all for your help. I sincerely appreciate it.

Tony
mazdatweaker_2   +1y
Let us know what turns up. Too bad there wasn't a parts yard with a borrow policy near where you live.