threads
Page 2 of 2
Mazda 2.6L \  1800-200k sputter, 1991 B2600i ideas?

1800-200k sputter, 1991 B2600i ideas?

Mazda 2.6L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 3282
replies 19
following 3

coloradolowlife   +1y

Crap.....that's no good...I figured I was safe since it was a newer rebuild....I'll look....guess I'm pulling the ecu tonight for inspection after work
coloradolowlife   +1y
no distributor cap seal/gasket listed for my truck....at least none that i can find?
kam   +1y
Don't despair too much. ECU's or ECM's if you prefer are almost always through-hole boards. Capacitors are pretty cheap ~25-50 cents apiece, and are really easy to replace even if you don't have much soldering experience.

If you want, when you open the ECU, send me a good quality picture of the board, or post one in this thread, I'll look at the caps for you.
scotch   +1y

Here is the part number: FE3N18V57
(electronic advance models, not for 1989 vacuum advance distributors)

If your dealer is a long hike across town, let me know and I can put one in the mail to you.

As for the ECM, if it's "dated 03", then it sounds like it was rebuilt in 03, in which case the caps have probably been replaced. Or perhaps, they only replaced one of them and the other one is now leaking. A lot of times, the circuit boards are not fully cleaned and repaired and the traces are slowly broken over time after the repair. In any case, take a look and post up some pics!.
kam   +1y

What worries me is that whoever rebuilt tha ECM in '03 used the crappy caps that caused so many other failures.Given that the height of the plague was right about that time (1999-2005) it is very very possible that the caps on the rebuilt board were sourced from the tiwanese ccompanies that made all the problem caps.
coloradolowlife   +1y
so i cant find any damage..it was fixed well....all the caps look the same and smooth like they are supposed to....blerhgg....

thread post photo

thread post photo

the stain looking streaks are from whatever got sprayed on it to seal it from atmosphere....happy yet confused....am i not seeing something?
kam   +1y
It looks ok to me.

Double check the caps in the upper left corner though, they could have pushed out or leaked from the bottom without you knowing...
coloradolowlife   +1y
everything looks good underneath the caps as well...all the contacts are clean as well....oh well keep searching for whats amiss....here is the outer label anyways....

thread post photo
kam   +1y
Like the others are saying, you need to test your spark, and if the injectors are actually "Lighting up" properly or not.

Still possible that the ECU is bad, but that isn't something I can diagnose here.

Maybe pull a scrap one sometime and try it? They usually run around us $20
coloradolowlife   +1y
I plan on getting a set of noids and do more testing most definitely