Mazda 2.6L \  The "notorious" B2600i engine

The "notorious" B2600i engine

Mazda 2.6L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 3373
replies 21
following 8

supratreo   +1y
guess i'll post here too.

i was a toyota mechanic for 10 years and LOVE my toyota's including the 22re's. i have owned my 2600 for a couple years and ita a good truck but after everything i have been through with this truck i would rather have a toyota. one thing i really don't like about these trucks is the lack of aftermarket support, also, they are hard to come by in my area for used parts too. toyotas are a dime a dozen.

when i first bought it, it needed a dist. as the CPS was bad and that part by itself cant be replace. then my evaporator started to leak and i had to get a new one but it was semi universal which means i'm going to have to make it fit.
i've also rebuilt the motor at which point i put new pistons and valves in along with lifters (not cheap!!)
there is a TON of other stuff i've done just because i like having good reliable cars but most recently it blew a head gasket, not sure why but it was an easy fix. unfortunately when i pulled the head off i noticed a small crack near a valve seat in another cylinder (didn't leak) but i decided to get a new head.

but i will say, when it ran it ran great and did a lot of work for me.
if anyone wants to buy my old head let me know, machine shop said it can be fixed
91extcab   +1y
I've got code to 330,000 miles on my g6. Still the original Trans and motor, still runs, but it's been sitting a long time.
supratreo   +1y
the odo on mine says 225k and its in GREAT condition, its just the little problems i keep having is whats irritating. i wish they made this motor a little simpler like the 22r, no HLA or balance shafts, things like that. i think i've just had to dump too much money into this truck. but like i said, when it runs, it runs great.
anguswilly   +1y
I can't agree about the balance shafts, I think it's what makes the motor great, really smooth - but the HLA are junk.

I wish someone would come up with a solution for manual adjusters.
supratreo   +1y
i thought it was possible to install the 2000/2200 lifters onto this motor? i was thinking about doing it when i had the head apart but like i said, i've already dumped a ton into this thing.
anguswilly   +1y

The b2200/B2600i lifters are the same. It is the rocker arms that are different between the B2200 and 2600i

Since the 2600i is 12 valve, the rocker arms can't work.

I started a thread thinking about doing some machine work to the rocker arms to allow a threaded adjuster to work.
supratreo   +1y
i don't get what your saying. the LIFTERS are the same or the ROCKERS are? i'm guessing you mean the rockers are the same, if so, cant you just mount them on the G6 shaft?
sincitylocal   +1y
The rockers are different!
scotch   +1y
The lifters may be the same, but since the B2600i is a 12 valve engine, the geometry of the rocker arms is different. The lifter end is offset from the cam lobe because the valves are in the "corners" of the combustion chamber. The rockers on the B2000/B2200 are a straight shot. Only the the B2000 uses a mechanical lifter anyway. But due to the geometry, it wouldn't fit.

See the offset on this B2600i head?

thread post photo
z/FP4AAMXQWzNSoqf~/$_3.JPG

And here is a mechanical lifter from a B2000 (from another thread on this site.)

thread post photo
supratreo   +1y
well that answers that. i thought the 2000/2200 was offset also.