The "notorious" B2600i engine

Mazda 2.6L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 3367
replies 21
following 8

anguswilly   +1y
Well I thought I would post my 2
sincitylocal   +1y
I bought a B2600i just to do a V8 swap. After driving the truck, I realized the power difference between it and my B2000. So when I yanked the engine, I saved everything for my B2000. It took almost 5 years before I swapped the 2600i into my B2000. Now my son drives it, and he's hooked too!

chaserjohndoe   +1y
its the 2600 mitsu that has a bad rep. not the 2600i mazda motor.
Cusser   +1y

Angus - I've got two 4-cylinder Frontiers (5-speed), same engine, a 1998 and a 2004 (and before Frontiers went on steroids). What does your experience offer on those? I know those have timing chain where the B2600i has a timing belt; both have fuel injection, etc., and know the B2600i seems to have issues as they age. Thanks.
91_2600i   +1y

Nope, it's a timing chain too!

The only real issue with them is the computer. When it fails or develops issues, it will make you think it's the distributor, or the idle control valve, or the throttle position sensor, or the MAF, or the fuel pump, or the injectors,....ect. While those do fail, it is extremely rare. The MAF cleans itself at shutdown - unlike an EGR valve, or reed valve (the B2600i has neither.) The distributor guts (optical crank angle sensor) are electronic and I would venture more reliable than the mechanical guts of a carbureted truck's mechanical, vacuum advanced distributor/cas.

Yes, the heads will crack if overheated, just like the other models. And the lifters will tick just the same also. But other than that, it's a pretty reliable engine - even the components. It's just that most of those items get replaced while chasing a computer issue.

I had to speak up as a card carrying member the Mazda B2600i G6 Engine Anti-Defamation Association!
anguswilly   +1y
LOL - G6 "ADA" !!
anguswilly   +1y

The KA24DE motor that you have id an excellent motor, it does have weaknesses but those only uncovered when people turbocharge them etc. I find it is a great motor and makes decent power, but maybe not enough for the heavy-ish frontiers!

I thought I saw Mrs. Cusser's mug in the Frontier forums...
anguswilly   +1y
I tell you, the guys with the 4x4 sheet metal are not the only ones with a great looking box...
Cusser   +1y

Yep, same Mrs. Cusser. I will say that the guys at the Frontier forums are relatively less likely to do their own maintenance and repairs than the Mazda truck guys.
anguswilly   +1y

Man, I hate to talk shit about people but for whatever reason a lot of nissan people seem strange - I mean it could just be me...