Page 1 of 2
Mazda 2.0L \  Engine dies when idle

Engine dies when idle

Mazda 2.0L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 2098
replies 16
following 4

srfnsnw87   +1y
I have an 87 B2000 with the stock engine. Im having a problem with the engine staying alive when coming to a low idle. This only happens later on in the day after i drive to work. getting to work in the morning is fine but anytime after that, the engine will cut out if i come to a stop and dont keep it revved. anyone else ever have this problem and have an idea of how to fix it? also, my truck over heats and boils the coolant in the reservoir very quickly.
kennyb89   +1y
I had an issue with my b2600.. It had a really rough idle. Same as yours if I came to a stop id have to put it in neutral and keep the rpms up. But mine was almost all the time not just certain times of the day. Mine had a bad intake gasket. May wanna check that to see if its leaking somewhere.
geterdun   +1y
Have you raised the idle with the idle adjustment screw? Have you cleaned/replaced the air filter lately? looked at the firing end of the spark plugs? Fouled plugs can run ok, may not idle. Go with all the things above, one should fix it.
Is the engine weak?
srfnsnw87   +1y
i have replaced air filter, spark plugs, adjusted the idle screw both ways. We just got a gasket set so we're going to replace it all.
srfnsnw87   +1y

Decided to get an engine gasket set and just replace em all and go through the engine as we go. should find or fix the problem
kennyb89   +1y

If you decide you don't want to change all of them and easy way to see if you have an intake gasket leak is to get a can of carb cleaner and spray around where the intake meets the engine. If the idle changes you found your leak.
geterdun   +1y
Make sure the carb bolts to the intake are tight (maybe replace THAT gasket). Over many heatings and coolings the gasket becomes compromised and allows air to be drawn through, making a lean idle (maybe replace THAT gasket). Try the carb cleaner spray, with the tube in the nozzle for concentrated direction of spray,..... and do this with the engine running. Spray around the carb base too. Check all the vacumn hoses, a leaking one will affect idle like this.
You can rebuild the engine if you plan to keep the truck original. But the consensus opinion would be to fix the problem that will have to be addressed eventually, if you do not stumble on it as you tear a perfectly (?) good running engine apart and pour cash into it. Fix the external problem (which is simply a fuel/air problem) and save the cash for any upgrades you have planned.
srfnsnw87   +1y
thank you very much everybody
geterdun   +1y
We assume you have it fixed? If so tell us, inquiring minds want to know for future occurrences!
srfnsnw87   +1y
We put a new head gasket, new carb kit and headers. (converted to full carb set up) seems to have fixed that problem. Im really looking towards doing a v6 swap eventually. ive loved all my 6s ive had.