Page 1 of 2
Mazda 2.0L \  84 Mazda Idle Issues

84 Mazda Idle Issues

Mazda 2.0L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 3681
replies 12
following 3

leitung   +1y
I have an 84 b2000 SE-5, when I first got her as a gas saver for back and forth to work, she ran great. Now she won't stay idle at all, and has trouble starting. When it does idle, it's a slow idle and extremely ruff. I did replace plugs and wires, but I am starting to think this might be a carb issue. I did talk to a mechanic, who told me to check into the idle control solenoid, but ill be dammed if I know where that is or how to replace it.

She runs great once you get her going down the road, yeah its a beater but I can't complain about the gas savings, considering my commute is going to be 30 miles each way here starting next month, so I would really like to get her road worthy again.

So any suggestions on where to start?
sincitylocal   +1y
First off, stay away from that mechanic! Idle control solenoids are only found on fuel injected engines, which wasn't common until the late 80's. You have a carburetor, which has a few different adjustment screws. The one that controls idle speed is acting as the throttle stop(I wish I was more familiar with the 84 carb, so I could tell you exactly which screw). Find it, and turn it in until the idle reaches the rpm you're looking for.
andrewoot   +1y
behind the carb there is a bolt, on mine its a huge bolt and you should be able to screw it one way or the other and it will hit that throttle plate, i will try to get a pic of mine but i think my bolt isnt even the right bolt haha.
andrewoot   +1y
thread post photo

this is it, best pic i could get this soon
leitung   +1y
So I had a few mins to work on the B2K the other day, I couldn't find the bolt pictured, but I did find this.

thread post photo

I pulled that little plunger out a bit and she fired right up and idled great, for a short time until I actually drove around a bit. Then it was back to the same old issue. I assume this is some type of idle control plunger of some type. Thinking it may need replacement?
andrewoot   +1y
That is prob it, and mine very well might be rigged all dumb by previous owner heh. Maybe its dirty and gunked up? I always try wd40 or carb cleaner before I have to get a new part dew to the fact that I can ever find any damned parts!
sincitylocal   +1y
No, that's not it! That's your dashpot... it's used to dampen the throttle when closing.
Your having adjusted it should do the job, but there is supposed to be a screw dedicated for said adjustment.
leitung   +1y
Problem is that pulling it out didnt fix it. It fixed it for a few mins until the plunger just went back too far to keep it running. The other picture looks like someone just replaced the dashpot with a bolt.

Been researching a replacement part, but havent found one yet. I found a generic part at autozone, but I am not sure if that would be a suitable replacement.

I dont want to just rig it up with a bolt if I can avoid it, looks like a run to a junkyard may be in order this week.

Still cant find an idle adjustment, and my google research is not getting me any results.
andrewoot   +1y
have you taken off and cleaned your egr? with that one i know they can get gunked up and some carb cleaner and a smaller brush will help. just make sure to not mess up the gasket or get a new one. personally i think junkyard routes are the best way to go if you find something. good luck finding a 1st gen though none of mine around here have them and its no bueno
leitung   +1y
Well I spent the day getting the "B" back running, I finally found the idle speed screw, I have attached a photo of the screw location with the hope of helping a fellow 84 B2000 owner fix his/hers some day.

thread post photo

The red circle is your idle speed, after some adjustment I got it to hold an idle. I still have a tune up to do with this thing, I may replace the EGR valve here next along with the fuel filter.

The blue circle is the back side of your dashpot, I also made some adjustment to that as well. I am standing on the passenger side of the pickup in this photo.

Well onward to the next tune up stage...