threads
Page 1 of 1
Mazda 2.0L \  86 b2000 occasional starting issues.

86 b2000 occasional starting issues.

Mazda 2.0L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 991
replies 3
following 3

somoteitbe   +1y
Picked up truck not to long ago, it was not well maintained so ive been cleaning her up and doing the proper basic servicing. She was struggleing at start up occasionally but i figured it was due to cold weather possibly. Changed out the spark plugs today, they were in pretty rough shape so i was hoping it would solve the issue. it however did not. struggled to start up for me after I had changed them and it was gorgeous out today 60 degrees and the engine was still warm.

Engine is a bit sluggish and weak and takes a bit of revving in the mornings when she does start to keep her idleing but once she does its no problem. Should i go after the carb next? or should i go after the ignition system? I think its a points ignition but not 100%. thanks for any input.
Cusser   +1y

Where you be? USA 1986 B2000 truck distributors were electronic ignition, not points.

As to the starting issue, let us know if the engine spins at fast enough speed, and if you have stock carb or an aftermarket Weber carb. Either way: is your choke operating properly?
somoteitbe   +1y

Omaha, Nebraska USA. Stock carberator, idles at just at or below 1,000 rpms. Seems to run fine at highway and in city speeds, a little weak, but it's got 175k miles on it. I Dunno about the choke. My 67 has a choke lever in the cab but i haven't seen one in the cab of the mazda and I haven't played with the carb at all yet.
befarrer   +1y
Pull off air filter cover, tap gas pedal to engage the choke, and look down carb, the choke butterfly at the very top of the carb should be closed off when engine is cold.

The choke is automatic on these trucks, uses an electrical release that gets power from the back of the alternator, it gradually opens the choke release as the engine runs. You need to tap the gas pedal when cold to engage it. If this is not working, then it will cause harder starting, and having to hold the gas pedal down slightly when cold to keep the engine running.

If this is the culprit, then it would also be a good idea to look at the eleventy million vac hoses that keep the carb satisfied, they are coming on for 30 years old.
Page 1 of 1