Page 1 of 1
Mazda 2.0L \  I NEED some help here...

I NEED some help here...

Mazda 2.0L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 870
replies 7
following 4

zurcher   +1y
Ok guys having some issues with my 86 dumping white smoke when the throttle is engaged as well as a ticking from the engine under acceleration and getting terrible gas mileage any help would be greatly appreciated its a carb 2.0 5 speed
Cusser   +1y
White smoke. Question 1 is: are you losing coolant at all?
zurcher   +1y
No I'm not burning coolant that I've noticed I check pretty much every other day
billysobx   +1y
Does it run good at idle?
If it is under acceleration only, Does the smoke appear to be more like a steam or is it actual white oil smoke?
I would assume if it runs rough from idling all the way through to wide open could be carburetor issues,also do a cylinder pressure check to find out if a ring, or rings have failed, also will tell you if it is in the valve train. The ticking is normal to an extent, but if it is abnormally loud in the rocker arm cover you need to check the clearances of the valve to rocker arm tappet. I think the book says .014", the guys on here have said to go a little closer, somewhere around .008" I think. I looked through the forums on here, and got most of my information about Mazda engine specs and aftermarket modifications. They are definitely fun little engines to play around with, very basic......
mazdatweaker_2   +1y
If you adjust the rockers at the valve end, they should be adjusted to .012. If you adjust the rockers at the base of the rocker (the part that runs against the cam,) you should adjust it to .008.
zurcher   +1y
It is actually smooth at idle after it warms up noticed when I shift is when most of the smoke appears then returns to "normal" cold weather exhaust
billysobx   +1y
Sounds like carb problems, choke might not be opening all the way up when you idle it down. It is running lean on air, from there I'd check the float to see if it sticking or heavy with deposits causing it to flood with fuel, could be that it runs good when cold because it should be idling around 3000-3500 rpm. The engine is burning enough fuel that the bowl isn't overfilling. When you let o !ff the accelerator and shift gears, the engine isn't using alot of fuel, then the bowl overflows with fuel, flooding the engine. Make sure there aren't any vacuum leaks, that would definitely cause these symptoms.
zurcher   +1y
Thanks for the help guys guess my weekend is gonna be spent tearing into my engine
Page 1 of 1