Page 1 of 1
Mazda 2.0L \  oil leak from hell!

oil leak from hell!

Mazda 2.0L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 2833
replies 7
following 6

b2000sluther   +1y
Hows it goin, i have a 87 b2000 2.0 with a webber carb, i had a slight oil leak from the oil pan when i got it, nbd i thought, well after 2000 miles i did my oil change and it started leaking about a qrt a week, always made sure it was topped off, only drove it to work and back.. the with the big freez it stopped leaking, oil level stayed the same for a long time then one day i noticed it was leaking again, so i got under it while at idle and figured the oilpan gasket just gave out and was dripping a drop a second. Replaced that and the oil filter and its still leaking from the same spot.

Sorry for the blow up but i have no other idea besides the blocks cracked, but i see no visable signs.

Thanks for any help
Taylor.
dan woodland   +1y
You don't want to use an oil pan gasket for these trucks - not required by Mazda. Just use RTV on the windage tray and oil pan. If you use a gasket it WILL leak. Be sure not to use too much but be sure to seal all surfaces after cleaning really well.
sincitylocal   +1y
You might also want to double check that there's only one seal on the oil filter. If an old one stuck to the block, at a filter change, you could develop a very bad leak.
dan woodland   +1y
Excellant idea... never had that happen but excellent idea.
mazdatweaker_2   +1y
You might have a leaking fuel pump which is allowing oil to run down the side of the block. You can take big handfuls of baby powder and throw it against the side of the block and see where it sticks to. That will be where oil has run down the side of the engine. You might have a loose valve cover.
b2000sluther   +1y
Okay thanks guys ill do this when i get the time, i never would have thought of my fule pump, but ill use that baby powder after i run some brake cleaner over it, then drive it. And this will be the 3ed time ive had to do the oil pan if thats the case..

Once again thanks!
befarrer   +1y
Check your crank pulley, oil pump is right behind it, usually leaks onto crankshaft pulley and sprays it all over though, hood, fenders, etc... makes a mess. Also double on the fuel pump, and check the back of the cylinder head, there is a rubber plug there, and I dont think I have seen one of these motors that does not leak back there, its just how fast it is leaking lol. Keeps the bell housing bolts from rusting in place I guess lol. Also, just thought, isnt the oil pressure switch around there, another potential leak area.
scotch   +1y
+ all of the above.

Have had the oil filter gasket stick to the oil cooler. Now I inspect the old filter and cooler to make sure it came off with the filter.

Also bought a truck with a seized head / sheared came drive pin because the rear cam cap leaked.
Page 1 of 1