Page 1 of 1
Mazda 2.0L \  fuel issues

fuel issues

Mazda 2.0L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 793
replies 2
following 2

jimlaw50   +1y
Im not trying to chace a holy grail with perfect gas miles ,but with this weber being brand new, new Beldin plug wires,new NGK spark plugs,new rotor cap and button,new PVC valve choke set right on new Weber so anyone have a clue to why Im only getting around 130 miles to a tank. Im lost without words I mean it doesnt leak oil, or burn oil out the tail pipe so help me help me Im losing it cause Iv saved all the money for this nice Weber and no better gas milage WTF LOL
mazdatweaker_2   +1y
Maybe your vacuum advance is bad. It could be leaking.

What do you have your timing set at; base and when you rev the engine to 2200 rpm. There is a centrifugal advance and the vacuum. Are you sure you hooked the vacuum up to a ported source?

There are a lot of small things that can affect fuel mileage.

You can open the gap up a little bit on the spark plugs and that helps a little bit. What are they set at now?

You have a 20+ year old truck. I would look at replacing the coil with a hotter unit as a possibility. The stock units might put out 30kv and a hotter coil will do a better job of lighting off your mixture.

Maybe it's time to stop looking at poor fuel mileage as the carburetors' fault and start looking for secondary ignition problems since you are still getting really poor fuel mileage.

The coil could be breaking down internally resulting in a weak spark.

With the engine off, pull a sparkplug lead and stuff a screwdriver into the boot where the plug normally goes. Have someone crank the motor while you hold the screwdriver close to the engine. You should be getting a hot blue spark out to about a half an inch.

I wouldn't run right out and buy any more parts until I was sure what I was buying would help solve your issues. There is always someone willing to take your money.

These are big trucks for "minis" I was always impressed that my doors didn't go "tink" when I shut them like the Nissan and Toyotas' That being said the best I ever got out of the Nissans I owned was 24 mpg, just like my Mazda. That was with all of the emission stuff hooked up and working, including the FBC (Feedback carburetor)

Hope this helps.
Page 1 of 1