threads
Page 1 of 2
Mazda 2.0L \  Camshaft problems. Need opinions.

Camshaft problems. Need opinions.

Mazda 2.0L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 1969
replies 17
following 5

man of tercel   +1y
Hey guys, new to this forum, but not forums in general.
Have a 2.0l I'm trying to fix. Got it for 400 with a snapped timing belt. Figured that would be easy enough. But a whole can o worms opened up. My cam gear shredded and left half of the pin in the cam. Tried drilling it out, but it's to hard. And I think the cam is a little buggered up now.

My question is, can I pull the cam with out pulling the head. And if I do what's the best way to go for one that's in good shape still (and maybe with more performance)
Hoping I can get her running ASAP so I can dd her. So easiest quickest ideas are preferred.
emjay   +1y
yes the cam can come out with the head on the block. you should be fine as these aren't interference engines. Just make sure that you use a 2.0 cam, not a 2.2 cam as the profiles are a little different.
man of tercel   +1y
Suggestions on where to get a new cam? Either stock or modified?
89bluedemon   +1y
Options for a modified cam are almost none, Delta cams are the only ones I know of that do anything like that. Stock cam is pretty easy to come by. Delta cams just regrinds the cam you send them to what profiles you want that's all.
anguswilly   +1y
There are a lot of companies that regrind cams, since you have the 2.0L it is easy since you have the mechanical adjusters.

Post pics of what you are dealing with, I am interested to see how your gear got shredded.
anguswilly   +1y
And yes, you only need to undo the rocker assy. to get the cam out (since your TB is already off)
man of tercel   +1y
I'll have to wait till I can get to a computer to upload pictures. But I the meantime, is this likely the best option for me? " target="_blank
emjay   +1y
I don't think that this cam would work well for you, something about this looks a bit off. I know that some of the other F2 series cars use a rear mounted distributor, I'm uncertain about the FE FWD car. There is also a chance that the profile for this cam isn't going to be the best for a truck application, that it will be more suited for a car instead. Also, the 85-86 FE cars were EFI, not carb'd.
man of tercel   +1y
" target="_blank
website says pictures are generic and not exact. Does this still seem like a bad way to go? I'm hoping that I can get something together before this weekend.
anguswilly   +1y
That is for a completely different motor and won't even fit, the cam you need - if anything will be a B2200 cam, that will fit and work just fine, while a hyd cam may not be the exact right cam, at least it'll fit and work properly.