Page 1 of 2
Mazda 2.0L \  help remove crank pulley '86 B2000

help remove crank pulley '86 B2000

Mazda 2.0L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 5431
replies 13
following 8

tht other dude   +1y
There's something fairly simple I'm missing I know it. How does one loosen the bolt without turning the crank? It just keeps spinning. That said, I've been told if the crank turns with the distributor pulled I create yet another problem. And since pulling the distributor was like step 3 in my Chilton's manual. I think I'm in trouble...

I'm gonna try to find the fly wheel tomorrow and do it the unpleasant old fashion way but if anyone has any helpful suggestions i'd really appreciate em.
anguswilly   +1y
Are you trying to change the timing belt? If so you only need to pull the outer crank pulley, you leave the big bolt alone and take off the the 10mm bolt, tap the pulley and remove it.

If the crank turns once the distributor is out, just follow the workshop manual to align the marks, crank, cam and distributor all have marks for assembly.

If you are trying to rebuild the engine, you'll need and impact gun to remove the large bolt, then a suitable puller to get the lower timing belt pulley off.
mazdatweaker_2   +1y
I think the socket is a (edit) 13/16" or 21 mm and maybe an extension.

You can use that with a breaker bar and you wedge that first, then hit the ignition key a couple of times. That should bang the bolt loose.

But to retighten it, you will have to wedge the flywheel to keep it from turning. I think the bolt has to be tightened to 160 ft-lbs.
Post was last edited on Jan 07, 2014 10:01. This post has been edited 2 times.
tht other dude   +1y
My ultimate goal is to rebuild this engine but i'm just trying to get it functional for now. I'm replacing the timing belt right now. I also want to replace the crank seal to see if it solves my oil leak issue. wondering if i should just do that now while I've got everything else out of the way.
anguswilly   +1y
You'll need a puller then, it should be pretty easy to see if the front crank seal is leaking. You should make sure you use a sleeve or at least be real careful when installing the new seal or you'll be doing it again, I have seen lots of incorrectly installed seals.
sincitylocal   +1y

Put the transmission in high gear, set the parking brake, and try to loosen it again.
kylesj6033   +1y
that is your best bet probably. only other thing I used to do to get them off is to lock up the motor. if u had steel pistons you could do it by a spark plug lock in thing but you risk breaking a lot of things. Another thing you could do is pull oil pan and put a wrench in between block and crank to lock it up.

Like I said tho his idea is best thing without taking chance on breaking something.

Sent from my VS950 4G using Tapatalk
Cusser   +1y

Yep, not easy. But Axel Breaker Earl posted a nice tool he made to hold the engine steady, after first removing the starter.
tht other dude   +1y
thanks I've been fighting with it this morning and was starting to get pretty frustrated. we managed to sidestep my first question initially. thanks for the input.
robzilla   +1y
I use an air impact wrench and a 21mm impact socket.