Mazda 2.0L \  Harmonic Balancer/Damper

Harmonic Balancer/Damper

Mazda 2.0L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 1527
replies 10
following 4

itfitz98   +1y
1983 b2000 sundowner

Ok, so I am attempting to remove my timing cover but am having trouble getting the balancer of. Chiltons says I haave to remove the big bolt in the middle to get it off and it aint budging. I have had the impact on it for a while now and its not moving. I assume its threaded in the normal direction. Here is a pic of it.

thread post photo
sincitylocal   +1y
Electric, or pneumatic impact?
itfitz98   +1y
pnumatic
gramps   +1y
I am in the middle of replacing a blown head gasket with the help of a friend and we had the same problem. Tried and tried Tuesday with no luck and then when I got over to his house yesterday morning he had it off. Asked him how and he said that he talked to a mechanic friend and he said to just make sure the socket was completely on it and that it would take in the neighborhood of 40# of pressure. I'm sure this doesn't help any but it does come off......eventually.
itfitz98   +1y
40 pounds is like nothing.

I'm sure it doesnt help that it has been on there for 31 years. and if your just replacing a head gasket you really didnt need to go thorugh it if you marked the can sprocket and chain.

first time I had it back together it fired right up, but I had a bad head gasket and had to do it again, at which time I didnt mark everything and lost track of the timing

I'll keep at it and hope it breaks soon.

I assume you have the same motor
sincitylocal   +1y
Squirt some ATF in the air nipple on your gun. About an ounce if you can. When you pull the trigger, it will become hydraulic for a few hammer strikes. If it doesn't break it loose then, you'll have to apply some heat to the crank, in order to help.

I worked as a mechanic for nearly 20 years. I never regulated my impact for a bolt this big. I used 100 to 120 psi most of the time.
gramps   +1y

40# didn't seem like to much either, but have never owned air tools so had no clue. That is just what my friend that is helping me told me. Maybe he knew SinCity's trick and didn't tell me...LOL

Yep, same motor I assume as mine is also '83 Sundowner. Are you saying I didn't need to remove timing change and such to replace the head gasket? For the life of me I couldn't figure any other way of doing it........
gramps   +1y
double post----sorry
itfitz98   +1y
Once you pull the head and the water pump and crank pully to the top left of the crank there is a plate. Behind that is the tentioner. 2 10mm bolts hold the tentioner in place. You pull that out and then set your top end back in place then put your tentioner back in. There is a trick to that too. To get the tentioner to stay compressed push the little lever thing over and put a screw in there to hold it....slide it back in using the screw to help you hold it in there. To line the screw holes up stick your left index finger in the hole, and you will feel how it lines up. Once you feel it you will know. Put your finger in the bottom left of the hole....
anguswilly   +1y
I think maybe he said 140 PSI air pressure? you need a good impact, mine does 780 ft. lb. and I still need multiple attempts sometimes with crank pulleys - you also need a good impact socket and you'll need to just keep hitting it sometimes for a long time.