Mazda 2.0L \  Head gasket repair

Head gasket repair

Mazda 2.0L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 826
replies 2
following 2

itfitz98   +1y
1983 Mazda b2000 sundowner.

OK, so I have determined that my head gasket was blown. Got everything taken apart and am in the process of putting it back together.

The problem is it apears as though my timing chain is a little short now. Talked to a friend and he said I have to tear the front end apart toget the tensioner pushed back to get the slack I need to put the chain back over the cam gear.

So I pulled the water pump and found a little access panel on the lower left of the block partly behind the crank pully with three bolts. I pullesd it off and was able to stick my finger in it and could see it from the top. There are 2 small bolts holding the tensionor and was wondering if I loosen them up if I can get the tensionor to retreat a bit, at least enough to get the timing chain back on.

I was able to stick my phone down there and take a picture of it so I could see what I was dealing with.

HELP!!!!! and thanks...
slammed83mazda   +1y
You need to stop with that method. Pull the entire front cover off and inspect what you got going on. My tensioner bolts backed out on me and caused ym truck to keep jumping time. Put a new chain and tensioner on it after pulling that plate off and determining it and boom fixed it. Its not hard to do. A strong hand on the crank bolt and the rest like 5-6 bolts and it slides right off.
itfitz98   +1y
Well...I removed the tentionor plate and tentioner and got the chain back on. As is stands now she is back together and tomorrow ill do the oil change and fill her full of fluids and see what happens.
Page 1 of 1