Mazda 2.0L \  water leak

water leak

Mazda 2.0L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 904
replies 6
following 3

itfitz98   +1y
1983 b2000 sundowner

So my truck has been loosing water for over a year now, but it would only need water every couple weeks or so, and time andmoney have prevented me from dealing with it and it wawasn't really hurting anything. Oil was always good. I have lost a little oil out of the head gasket but not enough to be concerned about.

Tonight on my way to the store after the truck had sat in the sub freezing tems for 2 days it starts to over heat and I smell hot coolant. Stop at the gas station and see steam.

Upon adding more water and letting her come back up to temp, I look and its pissing water out of the back of the head...and I mean pissing....so I had her towed home and am in the process of pulling the head. I'm pretty sure is was coming from the bottom of the head. There is something backthere with 4 bolts on it but I don't know what it is and assume there is another gasket under that which I don't want to replace if I don't have to.
Any thought on what this leak is?
Cusser   +1y
I'm not familiar with that type of engine, but sounds like a head gasket to me.

We used to have a 1988 Suburban which consumed coolant (but no smoking) for several years (I just didn't tell Mrs. Cusser), then one day one of the the head gaskets (V-8) just gave way and billowed out white smoke out the exhaust. But it was 12 years old then anyway, and time to replace it...
itfitz98   +1y
Think I found it

thread post photo
Cusser   +1y
Great photo though.
befarrer   +1y
Did you just add water when you had to top up the cooling system? If you just added water, the cooling system strength may be weaker and if it gets too weak, it could freeze and crack the engine block or head.
befarrer   +1y
Did you just add water when you had to top up the cooling system? If you just added water, the cooling system strength may be weaker and if it gets too weak, it could freeze and crack the engine block or head.
itfitz98   +1y
WEll, we are going to find out. I got it tore apart last night and am in the process of putting it back together.

And to answer you question, I just added water to it. I doesnt get that cold here in southern tennessee and very rarely freezes which is why I wasnt too worried about it. I knew eventually what ever was slowly leaking would eventually give out. I'm just glad I was only 5 miles from the house.
Page 1 of 1