Page 1 of 1
Mazda 2.0L \  persistent white smoke '86 B2000

persistent white smoke '86 B2000

Mazda 2.0L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 973
replies 3
following 3

tht other dude   +1y
So got this little mazda running about a month ago after it spent the last five or so years of its life decomposing in somebody's front lawn. it DID NOT BILLOW WHITE SMOKE... now it does. I've got compression in all 4 cylinders so i'm thinking i don't have a blown head gasket. maybe bad seals? that's what the general consensus seems to be on the internet. but i've a bad feeling it's something much more sinister and expensive. I'd ask the previous owner about it's habits before it got parked but he's dead, so i'm pretty well hosed there. anybody got any helpful input?

thanks,
kevin
Cusser   +1y
1. Are you losing any coolant?

2. Are you really not losing any coolant?

3. Does this still happen after about 10 minutes of running? It's cooler now, and water from the combustion process exits the tailpipe as white condensed water vapor until the entire exhaust warms up.

3. Bad valve stem seals would let oil into the combustion chamber, such oil burning would likely be more blue.
robzilla   +1y
I warped the head on my first mazda. I could smell the coolant in the white smoke exiting the tailpipe. Although it seemed more like steam than smoke.

You can also check the oil dip stick. That is the next question people will ask. It will look milky if coolant is in the oil.
tht other dude   +1y
I flushed the radiator cause it had about a decade of rust, maybe that would explain the smell. that's what makes me say it's smoke, it looks like steam but smells god awful. as for the oil I've got a serious oil leak until i replace the cam and crank seals so there's no sense checking the dip stick I'd imagine but i'll do It regardless.
Page 1 of 1