Page 1 of 1
Mazda 2.0L \  Crank oil seals and oil oump

Crank oil seals and oil oump

Mazda 2.0L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 1314
replies 7
following 3

mercilessltd   +1y
How does one go about doing the front and rear main oil seals? Just pull out the old and tap in the old?

I usually put some axle grease on them first, or at least the cam seals I do. Is this a good or bad idea?

Also, I noticed the front looks like there is some kinda of weird half moon seal too. Must this be replaced? Should I?

And how would one go about doing the oil pump? Is it as simple as the water pump?
orangemazdab2000   +1y
The front main and the cam shaft seals are the same size. They are fairly easy to replace. I usually just dip the seals in clean engine oil before installation.

The rear main is a pain since you've got to pull the tranny and flywheel to get to it but once you get into it that far, replacing the actual seal isn't too bad.
mercilessltd   +1y
Thanks. Forgot to mention: engine is out so that isn't an issue. Do you know if I need/should replace the half moon thing? What exactly is it? Another seal of some sort?

Sent from my Garnet Red SGS III running [url=" "]Dandroid using Tapatalk 4
orangemazdab2000   +1y
I'm racking my brain on the "half moon thing"...got a pic?

The only thing I can think of that you may be talking about is the rear cam seal....but its more of a "full moon thing"...

xxchromeghostxx   +1y
The only " half moon " thing i could thing of looking from the front would be the frontside of the valve cover gasket where it is seated atop the little rise?
mercilessltd   +1y
I'll take pics in a few.

mercilessltd   +1y
See the six bolt pattern that's a half moon looking shape going around the top of the rear main seal?

thread post photo

Also, is there anything special to the oil pump as far as removal or installation? I'm essentially re-gasketing everything due to leaks.

orangemazdab2000   +1y
Oh, the back of the engine, not the front, LOL!

I don't normally remove that, but I have before. You can pull the rear main without pulling the "half moon thing".

If you do need to remove it though, like if you're going to pull the crank out, you can just use silicone gasket maker, kind of like you do on the oil pan. I usually use the black silicone gasket sealer from NAPA.
Page 1 of 1