Page 1 of 2
Mazda 2.0L \  Water leaking from fan pulley?! What's the cause? 84' B2000

Water leaking from fan pulley?! What's the cause? 84' B2000

Mazda 2.0L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 2052
replies 10
following 6

mrpielovin   +1y
I heard some strange noises coming from under the hood while I was beginning to overheat, when I stopped and put some more water in the radiator to let it cool I noticed a lot of the water was just leaking from the fan pulley. Also the fan was wobbling will bad. I turned the engine off and the fan pulley can be moved quite easily like it is loose but all the bolts are on tight.

Does this mean I need a new water pump? OR just a new timing belt? OR SOMETHING ELSE?!
dan woodland   +1y
Sounds like it's water pump time.

You should probably change your timing belt while you are in there. Also check your oil pump seal on the front of the crank for a leak.

The Chilton or Haynes manuals cover this procedure very well.
Cusser   +1y
Water pump time. Its bearings are worn, allowing movement, and that has caused a leak through the water pump shaft seal. So good: you caught it before it damaged the fan or radiator.

Agree, good time to change out timing belt, maybe re-new drive belts, change coolant, etc.
mrpielovin   +1y
Sorry for the late reply guys I ordered a new pump and belt Autozone called it a serpentine belt... the run that runs the fan, this is the belt you are talking about right? Not the timing chain in the engine?
chaserjohndoe   +1y
nope. you want a TIMING belt. a SERPENTINE belt runs the engines accessories and is a different size than a timing belt. A timing belt usually runs from the crank to the cam and sometime(in our case does) runs a water and/or oil pump.
dan woodland   +1y
You should also replace all the other belts but THIS is the timing belt...

://://:&tbnh=90&tbnw=90&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dtiming%2Bbelt%2Bmazda%2Bb2200%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=timing+belt+mazda+b2200&usg=__3UCZOOD9frqjNS-kw3e-LPtAP9A=&docid=j0bFHfbesJUNEM&sa=X&ei=2-IkUoYUhZGIAovJgbgC&ved=0CFYQ9QEwAw&dur=1048
cab+rider   +1y
Autozone called it a serpentine belt... the run that runs the fan, this is the belt you are talking about right? Not the timing chain in the engine?

I got to thinking is the 84 B2000 a timing chain or timing belt?
Never seen the interior of the engine so I'm not sure...
Cusser   +1y
I'm thinkin' that the 1984 B2000 engine may have a timing chain. Dan's link is a photo of a 1989.
mrpielovin   +1y
After a long bit of researching, I can verify that the engine does have a timing chain! I also contacted the last owner and he changed it about 25000ish miles ago. I bought a new pump and went to install. After removing the old one I found out that it was my problem it was totally shot, it was the original pump so almost 30 years old!!!! I couldn't put in the new pump however because the studs from the old pump were seized in. I am now letting it soak overnight and am hoping they will loosen up with some White Lithium Grease in tomorrow.
IF THEY DON'T however does anyone know where to buy water pump studs for a 84' b2000 I have looked with no avail.
sincitylocal   +1y
If you have an ACE hardware store close by, they usually have an extensive fastener selection.