Mazda 2.0L \  fan clutch bad?

fan clutch bad?

Mazda 2.0L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 2287
replies 10
following 5

cms062407   +1y
Hello,

I think my fan clutch is bad, lemme know what you think.

I replaced the water pump, radiator, thermostat and my truck is still getting somewhat hot if it idles for 10+ min...the temp needle doesn't shoot up AT ALL, but it slowly goes up to the "Hot" area..

I turned the truck off, and when I spin the blade by hand, it will spin for about 1.5-2 revolutions....that means the clutch is bad, correct?
sincitylocal   +1y
Yeah, it's probably time for a new one.
You'll know if the fan clutch is engaging when you hear an ungodly whirring noise under the hood.
cms062407   +1y

yup, that was the problem. I replaced the fan clutch, and all is well now!

However, when I was putting the fan blade back in, I smashed a few of the fins on my brand new radiator---do you think that is going to affect cooling?
sincitylocal   +1y
As long as you didn't create a leak, it shouldn't be a problem.
xxchromeghostxx   +1y
I'm having the same issue as you where, but right now i have yet to replace the radiator, also i'm running without a shroud will not having a shroud affect the cooling this much? Also, do this trucks need a 50/50 coolant mixture to run correctly?
Cusser   +1y

Actually, water by itself is very good at exchanging heat. But 100% water doesn't provide lubrication and corrosion inhibitors that a mix of coolant and water will. So get a used fan shroud (different for automatics), run your coolant mix. And in your case, I'd bite the bullet (like I stated in your thread) and and get a 2-row radiator to replace the old 1-row radiator you have now. I assume that your radiator cap is also decent.
xxchromeghostxx   +1y
yes the radiator cap is good, taking my radiator to be tested today and fixed if nessecary only 70$ should do me till i can find a double row radiator, fan clutch is in good shape had it checked out just to be sure.
Any advice on what radiator would fit as a double core, what car or just try ordering a specialty double row for it?
Cusser   +1y

Radiator for B2200 with automatic transmission (just don't do anything with the inlet/outlet for the ATF fluid). I believe AutoZone and O'Reillys recently just moved to one 2-row radiator listing for the B2200 models, whether automatic or manual transmission.
xxchromeghostxx   +1y
Much appreciated, i looked into those, they do have them for the AT but not the manuals, so just leave the at fluid areasalone leave capped or plugged whatever, but for now i found a radiator on craigslist, he's letting me assemble it and bringing the part to me whaaaaaat! crazy right, off topic sorry
but he says it's only been used a week then his engine locked up on him, i'm getting it at a steal in trade for a fishing pole and tackle box ( how we do it in the south ) but i'm going to see how this radiator does, but i will be investing in a double row for teh future as i do have plans of beefing up the motor.
mercilessltd   +1y

What's a good rev count then for a good fan? IIRC, my fan does the same (~2 revs). (Plus I'll be adding a shroud during the swap.)