Page 1 of 1
Mazda 2.0L \  Timing problems how to line up cam shaft and pulley

Timing problems how to line up cam shaft and pulley

Mazda 2.0L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 1026
replies 4
following 5

dizzy.baird.1   +1y
ok so i had my head redone. whren it came back it was in peices. the cam was in but the pulley was disconnected. i reconnected it not knowing what i was doing. so i have my harmonic balancers ignition mark lined up with the mark on the block, i have the distributors marks lined up ready to go back in but have no clue if my cam is 180 out or how to line it up so when its on the damn things on the compression stroke instead of the exhaust stroke. or if my pulleys even in the correct position. please help asap
skrapinsask   +1y
I also need to know this
cab+rider   +1y
Here are a couple of pointers to verify assuming the timing belt is correctly installed and procedures were followed.

1. At TDC the cam gear #1 mark is lined up with the 12 o'clock marker.
2. The crankshaft pulley mark is lined up with the TDC mark also at 12 o'clock.
3. The #1 piston is at TDC its highest point of the engine block.
4. The distributor rotor is pointing at the #1 spark plug boot of the distributor cap which is at the 9 o'clock position.
5. Assuming the valve cover is removed check the intake lifters/valves #1 and #2, the exhaust lifters/valves #1 and #3 with your feeler gauge settings used.

Note the mentioned valves might be needing adjustment if they are mechanical. HLA aren't adjustable. At this point visually check the cam lobes it should be at its lowest point matching the lifters mentioned (step 5) that have some play.

6. Turn the crankshaft one engine revolution (360) the distributor rotor should be pointing to the #4 spark plug boot of the distributor cap which is at the 3 o'clock position. Also the #4 piston is now at TDC.
7. Check the intake valves #3 and #4, the exhaust valves #2 and #4 with your feeler gauge settings used. The cam lobes should also correspond with these set of lifters mentioned. After checking/setting valves restore valve cover.

This is what I can best describe if you can find a work shop manual it will be very helpful to use for this procedure or other issues you have with your ride.

Keep us updated I'm sure others are interested in your progress.
robzilla   +1y
I know this thread is old. But the original poster was asking about timing when the head is removed from the block.

There is a reference pin on the crankshaft. according to the manual that pin should be facing up.
Cusser   +1y
Some good information and photos here:

Page 1 of 1