Page 1 of 1
Mazda 2.0L \  Which engine is this??

Which engine is this??

Mazda 2.0L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 1190
replies 4
following 4

bagged dually   +1y
As the story goes I bought this 1986 B2k. The engine was just rebuild and it seems who ever did it was trying to get some extra power due to the header weber and a few other things. Also the engine has had a lot of time put into it smoothing and painting it so whatever it was they planned on keep it for a long time.
So all along I have assumed this was the correct engine for this truck and a 2.0L. Just recently I started finishing up anything with the engine they never got around to doing. I tried to adjust the factory rocker arms to find that my engine has the non adjustable arms. Off of a 2.2L maybe?? So I start thinking maybe the entire engine is a 2.2 but I can't find any real 100% markings.
I believe the head to be a 2.2 due to the rocker arms it equipped with.
I looked at the block to try and find an F3 or FE stamp which I was ts would tell me and can't find either casting any where.
I did how ever find this cast behind the header area.
thread post photo

Also on the timing cover I found this.
thread post photo

As you can see by this pic someone put a lot of time and money into this engine. I'm thinking if they were going to put this kind of time into a new engine surely they'd use a 2.2L but I don't know. All of the evidence points to the bigger engine and not a 2.0 but hopefully you guys can tell me a for sure way of telling.
thread post photo
cab+rider   +1y
The block is a 2.2 and the timing cover has 2.2 on it. I assume this is the same engine from your other threads about the valves with hydraulic lifters. I've never seen a B2000 factory fresh engine so I won't know how to compare the two engines. Maybe you can't since they're interchangeable?
mazdafvr   +1y
if they used a 2.0 head they still would have had to use the 2.2 distributor housing witch would be pointless if they have the hydro rockers, id say its a 2.2 engine, out of another truck or they bought it as a crate motor
bagged dually   +1y
Yep it's the same engine as the thread about the rockers. After that I was really puzzled to if this was a 2.2L instead of a 2.0L so I figured a thread on the actual topic might draw the attention of someone who would definitively know one way or the other. With all of the info added together and you guys input I'm going to assume its a 2.2 also.
Thanks for the input guys
robzilla   +1y
I know this thread is resolved.

But for someone searching to find an answer. The FE or F2 stamp on the block is on a flat section of the block where the head gasket is, facing up. It's on the same side as the exhaust manifold, distributor and oil dip stick. it may need to be cleaned before you can read it.

Also on the side of the block there is the 2.0 or 2.2 stamp.

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo
Page 1 of 1