Page 1 of 2
Mazda 2.0L \  setting timing

setting timing

Mazda 2.0L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 24540
replies 18
following 7

mercilessltd   +1y
As I was taking off the head of my motor, I noticed that the distributor was (from the driver-side of the vehicle looking directly at the distributor) all the way to the right.

What's the proper way to set the timing on this engine?
cyfi6   +1y
Which timing are you talking about? Ignition timing, valve timing, or how to properly install the distributor?
emjay   +1y
for the distributor, there should be a dimple on the timing gear, and a mark on the distributor shaft. Line these two up BEFORE putting them into the head. Make sure that you are on TDC compression with the #1 (or A) at the top mark on the camshaft. After this, should be an easy adjustment to 6
mercilessltd   +1y
CyFi6: Sorry for not clarifying, but I meant distributor installation it seems.

emjay: Thanks for the info, but I'd like clarification. I understand the phrase, "After this, should be an easy adjustment to 6
dan woodland   +1y
Mazda has specified an "optimum" setting for the timing for all engines. This makes the engine run well, supposedly at it most efficient, and still pass emissions. For example, mine is 6 degrees before Top Dead Center or as emjay said 6BTDC. There should be a sticker on the underside of your hood with the proper spec for your engine. If not check your service manual or it might be in your owners manual.
Cusser   +1y
Remember: there's camshaft timing which is set with the pulley marks like when changing the timing belt, and then there's ignition (distributor) timing which is set with engine running using a timing light.
monstermazda   +1y
If the timing is right then it doesn't matter where it is in the adjustment slot. When I install mine I keep the slot in the center and place the rotor at about 8:30 if looking from the drivers side. When it meets the cam it will rotate slightly, but there is plenty of room for adjustment.
mercilessltd   +1y

Where are the marks to line up the distributor? I looked at the distributor shaft, and there are a few different marks.
mercilessltd   +1y
Thanks for the help guys. Got my truck running yesterday after it died September-ish from a head gasket.

I looked in the Chilton's for matching, and it simply showed to match a hole on the shaft to a notch on the housing. Problem is, there are two holes 180 degrees from each other. There is a second set of markings, the ones I believe everyone was talking about, where there is a smaller dimple closer to the housing, and a mark on the housing (stands up, instead of a notch). Lining this up also lined up one of the holes with the notch, which was on the other side. This put the rotor around the first electrode on the distributor cap.

Lo and behold, it worked. Just got to get out the timing light to get the "perfect" 6 BTDC.
mercilessltd   +1y
Ok, now I have an issue. Where are the ignition timing marks on the harmonic balancer / timing belt cover? I see no marks on the timing belt cover, and the only marks I see on the harmonic balancer is two dimples fairly close to each other on the outside (facing the radiator).