Page 1 of 1
Mazda 2.0L \  Need help getting truck to run

Need help getting truck to run

Mazda 2.0L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 1084
replies 3
following 4

jecowan   +1y
Hi. Im new to this board and need help. I cant get my truck to stay running. When I crank it I have to hold down the gas pedal, even after it cranks I still have to hold down the gas pedal or else it cuts off.

Whenever it cuts off and i try to crank it again, it takes about 5 seconds to crank, then it acts like its about to cut off but it runs for about a minute before it cuts off. I have the gas pedal pressed all the way to the floor the whole time. Where should I start? thanks

The truck is a 1987.
dropnbody88   +1y
is it running smooth or skipping and backfiring the whole time
dropped90(justin)   +1y
So did you buy it like this? ran fine before and now it doesnt? Sounds like maybe the timing is not correct.

-Justin
mercilessltd   +1y
Any updates to your situation?

Without knowing specifics, the possibilities are endless, but if it runs smooth, could be carb issue such as idling screw, bad choke, etc.

Smooth or not, could be fuel line issue such as a blockage or improper pressure.

If it's rough check for bad timing or bad ignition such as a coil gone bad, bad plug wires, or gunked-over plugs. If it was bought in this manner, go for the more obvious things like bad timing.

Initially, again not knowing your situation, I'd do the cheapest things first, such as check for spark on each plug, compression test, proper fuel pressure.

Hope that helps.
Page 1 of 1