Page 1 of 1
Mazda 2.0L \  2.0 ?

2.0 ?

Mazda 2.0L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 964
replies 1
following 2

chris   +1y
Ok I found a rebuild master kit for a 2.2 comes with everything but a cam my question is can I use the pistons I know I have to have the block bored what about rod and main bearings will they work in my 2.0 to
emjay   +1y
the only thing that is going to be different between the rebuild kits between the 2.2 and the 2.0 is going to be the head gasket. The older style heads have a restrictor pressed into the block where the 2.2s have it incorporated into the head gasket.

The bearings and rings will interchange between the two no problem.

The pistons might be an issue. If I recall correctly, the 2.0s are usually a flatter piston on the top and the wrist pin sits higher along the skirt, where the 2.2s are more dished and they sit lower on the skirt. This shouldn't matter for much compression (I think that with all the math worked out the dished pistons actually have a slightly higher CR than the undished ones, but we aren't talking about much.)

The dished ones have an advantage because of their designed, they are hemispherical and take full advantage of the burst pattern inside the engine. Unfortunately, each replacement set of pistons that I've ever seen were lacking these, seem to have been factory from Mazda only.
Page 1 of 1