Page 1 of 1
Mazda 2.0L \  87 B2k valve chatter

87 B2k valve chatter

Mazda 2.0L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 1406
replies 5
following 4

bigbrewdrums   +1y
My B2k has a 2.0 and has the valve chatter everyone asks about... To anyone who has cured it please answer back as to how u were able to resolve the issue... Thanks!!
emjay   +1y
hydraulic lashers = replacement or repriming by hand.

mechanical lashers = adjust with feeler gauges. .007" on the intake and .008" on the exhaust is what I ran with my gasser. yours are probably too loose which is causing the sewing machine noise. This will take you about 2-3 rounds to get perfect.
resupergrx7   +1y
is it "ok" to adjust these cold? somebody on mazdatruckin said i could do this cold because I found it hard to do all of them while it was hot and kept burning my hands.
If I adjust cold, is there different gauge settings to set them for to compensate for the metal shrinkage? Figured that was the reason to adjust them hot, while everything is expanded.
resupergrx7   +1y
well adjusted them cold, and did each cylinder one at a time. Just took each spark plug out an found where it was at TDC. Did feeler guage of .007 for intake and .008 for exhaust sides. Finally quite! cant hear any "tick" at all! Im so amazed
I just hope that when really driving it around and everything gets to Full Operating temp, that nothing breaks or seizes up.
Guess 3rd time really is the charm to get em right lol
mazdatweaker   +1y
If you adjust the rockers at the valve contact side, .08 is too close, due to valve / rocker geometry. If you adjust here, the clearance is .12

You need to reserve an .08 setting to the cam side of the rocker if you insist on clearances that close.

Rotate the engine to TDC. Adjust the 4 valves that should be loose on. Rotate the engine 360 degrees clockwise. Adjust the other 4 clearances.

Flat rate time alternative to an otherwise tedious process.
mazdatweaker   +1y

The B2000 utilizes mechanical lifters.
Page 1 of 1