Page 1 of 2
Mazda 2.0L \  87 B2000 Overheat

87 B2000 Overheat

Mazda 2.0L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 4948
replies 13
following 6

katoranger   +1y
Okay, I just bought an 87 B2000 tonight and my Dad drove it home for me about 25 miles. The previous ownwer said he had the head gasket replace and the head machined about 3 months ago and it had been fine until he took a trip from Tampa, FL to Lexington, KY and he made it to Knoxville, TN and started have problems with it getting hot. He said he could go about 40 miles before it got hot and have to pull over. He drove it to metro Atlanta here and sold it to me and got has Aunt to take him to the airport.

I am hoping it is a waterpump or radiator problem, but my dad made it 20 miles before it got hot and had to shut it off.

The truck is pretty straight and solid so for my $150 I can't go too wrong.

Are there any common cooling issues I should check first?

Allen
skunk84   +1y
Did you check to see if there's any water getting into the oil ?
katoranger   +1y
Not yet, but that is on the list for tomorrow. Will be one of the first things I look at. Worst case scenario, I will be looking for a used engine to drop in.

Allen
korrupt1   +1y
I am having some heating issues....Im PRAYING for just a water pump....mine holds some coolant and I get at least a full tank fo gas usually....but to me...it seems like mine is just losing coolant...nothing in the oil (thats a good sign at least) but I went thru a gallon of coolant today....but it never actually showed overheated.....will update as I know more.

BTW...since I am a 2600i injected...I dont get to just GET a used engine...mines completey different and there are NONE where I live to get a used motor or parts from
katoranger   +1y
Well I guess I will find out. My dad doesn't think its the head. The truck didn't have any white smoke when he left after I bought it. It had water in it too. The water is going someplace because he had to fill it up again on the way home. Could just be boiling out.

Maybe its just a stuck thermostat.

Hope you get yours solved. I only into this truck for a $150.

Allen
katoranger   +1y
I just got home from work. Checked the oil. It looks dark, but I don't see any signs of water in it. Head gasket may be okay. I think its a waterpump/thermostat/radiator/fan issue. One or combination of those.

Allen
katoranger   +1y
Well, I pulled the thermostat housing and the thermostat was missing. The pump seems to be pumping. The radiator looks clean inside water flows through it pretty well. Also appears to be a newer one. I believe the fan clutch is bad. It spins real easy.

Allen

korrupt1   +1y
on mine....I have a new thread called happy to report.....mine turned out to be a hose peeing water out. A good way to check is to pull your plugs and see if you have any water squirting out the plug hole...pull the plugs and turn over the engine...sure sign you have water in the head somewhere....I did not have this nor oil in my water anywhere present.

I also had no steam coming from exhaust area, either at the exhuast mani or from tail pipe...which was telling me and verified by other members on here that I had no gasket issues (thank god!) but that the water had to be going somehwere...so I sat and watched and watched and watched at idle till I found the leak.......which turned out to be a hose under the intake manifold...and is a pain to get too...can be done and I am sure woulda been even easier if I had allowed the thing to cool off some more...but time constraints aside (had a appt at tire shop) I braved it and went in...I also replaced other various hoses that I deemed needed replaced...total cost for hoses...$7.95...time spent...hour and a half...fact that the truck dont overheat no more...PRICELESS
oicu812   +1y
I'd say get a thermostat in there maybe replace the belt, if yours is like mine there isn't really a clutch on the fan it just runs all the time, therefore I went with an electric fan to gain a little horse. And I'd really check all your hoses really good like Korrupt1 said and becareful how much your driving it while it keeps overheating, could end up warping that new head. Good luck
katoranger   +1y
I have another car so I don't have to drive the truck. It has not run since I brought it home going to do all diagnosing in the yard first.

I am going to check out another mazda in the junkyard and compare to see what the fans feel like to mine.

Thanks for help. No coolant leaking into the oil etc that I can see.

Allen