Page 1 of 2
Mazda 2.0L \  Gm single wire alt on a pre 85

Gm single wire alt on a pre 85

Mazda 2.0L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 1903
replies 11
following 7

trplezro   +1y
Maztang, I've heard you have done this mod. Any write ups or tips on it?
I've got one off an S10 laying around here and was looking to mount it up to the mazda when the time came
maztang (ryan)   +1y
it's pretty easy man. i just had to flip the alternator upside down from the way it originally sits because of the way the mounts are. i will go take a pic right now while i have the engine out.
maztang (ryan)   +1y
here it is installed

thread post photo

here is originally the bottom mount that i had to use as the top mount

thread post photo

and here is the bottom

thread post photo

everything else is pretty easy. you will just connect the white wire with the red stripe to the hot on the back of the alternator and don't worry about the plug.
slammed83mazda   +1y
Nice, Anyway we can get a model # big guy? That would be much appreciated. I think I remember you saying you got it off ebay?
maztang (ryan)   +1y
yeah, sorry, i don't have a model number. i got on ebay and just looked up 105 amp 1 wire alternator and came accross this one. i haven't had any problems out of it but twisted minis said his blew up on him. if i were you guys, i would go to my local autoparts store and tell them that you want an alternator out of an older camaro or something like that. i can't remember what makes and year models had them though. sorry. try to get one with a lifetime warranty.
at dusk   +1y
dude thes alt are cheap even at your local parts store. they are so common its funny.. i too have wired mine with a 1 wire.. and i think i paid less than a hundred for mine new..

steve
trplezro   +1y
I think mine has a bigger pulley on it. Like for a serp belt. Which is weird cause they didn't use a serp belt on the 89 s10s.
maztang (ryan)   +1y
pulley size doesn't really matter man. just take a piece of string or rope and wrap it around all your pulleys once you have it on and then measure how long that piece is. then when you go to your autoparts store tell them how long you need your v belt.
dblaron84   +1y
Maztang =

My '84 Alternator has 3 wires.
What do you do with the other 2 wires?
Black/White = goes to the Alt. fuse on the dist. block underhood and to the Check Light Relay
Yellow = goes to the Check Lght Rly
Check Light Relay = goes to the alt ind. and Carb. Heater

Thanks Guys. Just curious if anyone has any info. Now that i think about it (ofcourse after writing all this) all three wires are connected....have to go check
dropped90(justin)   +1y
For all of you guys that are simply flipping the alt over like you have Ryan need to make some kind of brace for the back lower side of the alt. The little tab that is now on the bottom is not thick enough to support the alt weight and tension on it and will eventually break it off. Trust me i have been down the road and had to replace the front cover on mine due to this. Just trying to save you guys from a little hassle down the road and more money spent!!!!!!

-Justin