Page 2 of 3
Southeast \  1989 B2600i got cheap, but needs timing chain - help

1989 B2600i got cheap, but needs timing chain - help

Southeast Events
views 24578
replies 21
following 6

axel breaker earl   +1y
Found some other pics of when I was disassembling the 2.6 that I'm building now, (here's the link to that thread......) and a few more views of the oil pump drive sleeve and how it just slips onto the crank snout after the lower timing gears are in place.

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo
90-b22dawg [andrew]   +1y
woooo lets get some pics of said Dodge RAM HEMI
dadandsoneyes   +1y
Topic: 1989 Mazda B2600i 4x4 Cab Plus PickUp Truck / Timing Chain / won't run --

Thanks Axel Breaker Earl,
This is great !!! My son and I stayed up again until about 1:30am working on the truck. Finally got the exhaust manifold off, the HEAD OFF, the Throttle Body Off, removed the A/C Compressor, removed ALL Pulleys(except can't get power sterring Pully off, can't get that bracket off. Have to get pulley off, then remove pump from bracket to get to the bolts that hold the bracket on spent over hour with it..UGH! WE STILL CAN'T GET THAT $%^&* FRONT COVER OFF. REMOVED ALL BOLTS, -- HOW DO YOU GET THAT OFF, IT SEEMS STUCK ON THERE SOMEHOW....UGH !
dadandsoneyes   +1y
Here are pictures of the oil pan and the front end differential in the way. I think I can remove a bracket on the passenger side of the oil pan that will allow me to access a few more oil pan bolts. ON THE 4X4 MODELS it looks nearly impossible to get to all the OIL PAN Bolts. I don't have an engine life or engine stand so I guess we will see how to get this oil pan off. It is preventing us from completely removing engine timing chain cover. See photo's.

thread post photo

thread post photo

I started another thread just in case these image links don't work.
dadandsoneyes   +1y
Hi Axel Breaker Earl,

See Photo's now.... figured it out...

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo
axel breaker earl   +1y
Yes, you need to completely remove the oil pan in order to remove the timing cover.....the oil pump pick-up tube is holding it in place, so you have to drop the oil pan enough to remove the 10mm bolt that has the pick-up tube attached to the windage tray.....look at my photos above and you will see that.

Also, the diagrams you have in your recent post are for a B2000 engine, not the B2600i engine......I will get the correct one and post it here soon.

thread post photo

thread post photo
patanga   +1y
Thanks for taking the time to post this. I'm doing the same repair now myself. Can anyone please advise the torque settings for the following;
Flywheel bolts
Front crank pulley
Auxiliary/silent shafts front sprocket nuts
Tensioner guide rail bolts
Front camshaft sprocket bolt
Main bearing cap bolts
Big end cap bolts
Thanks
ssvashon5   +1y
Hello, I bought a 91 b2600i with a bad head. Had overheated. Thanks for all the great photos.
My truck only has 57k on it, but the head had cracks from overheating.
I don't know if I should be replacing anything else.
There was water in the oil pan when drained but a mechanic said coolant can get there through the cylinders. Should I just take oil pan and timing cover off and inspect it only?
Thanks, Scott
ssvashon5   +1y
Hello, I bought a 91 b2600i with a bad head. Had overheated. Thanks for all the great photos.
My truck only has 57k on it, but the head had cracks from overheating.
I don't know if I should be replacing anything else.
There was water in the oil pan when drained but a mechanic said coolant can get there through the cylinders. Should I just take oil pan and timing cover off and inspect it only?
Thanks, Scott
Dirtyred   +1y
I have a 91 b2600i that keeps pushing oil out at front crankshaft seal more around the center of seal my harmonic balancer has a small grove in it from old seal. Changed twice same results. Any help is appreciated
post photo