Page 2 of 11
S10 Projects \  project: low dime

project: low dime

S10 Projects
views 15758
replies 105
following 14

lucky13   +1y
also does anyone know how to get the spindle off the ball joints, i took the upper and lower bolts off hit it with a hammer and nothing?
maz89   +1y

take your castle nut and thread it back on til it's flush with the tip of the balljoint, this is so not to damage the balljoint,(but you're probably going to put new ones on but it will also give you more of a hitting surface. For balljoints you want to keep, then be careful, if the nut starts to distort then stop there so you won't mess up any of the threads,) get you a BMFH (big mother fuckin' hammer) and go to town. If this fails then try a balljoint spliter, you can rent one from any autozone or whatever. And for your other question, I would suggest inspecting the body very good before hand, make sure you know what needs to be replaced rust wise and that you can replace them. I would bag and bodydrop it first off before any shaving or bodywork, this is your first bag and bodydrop job, not saying you're not capable of doing it, I'm sure you'll do just fine, I just know you'd hate to spend hours of shaving and beautiful bodywork only for the bags or bodydrop not to turn out the way you wanted, and want to trash the truck ya know? plus you probably wouldn't want saw blades and grinders flyin' all around your fresh shave job lol. but just measure, measure, measure! think about all your cuts before you do them, take your time and do it clean and right the first time, you'll do just fine! We're all here for ya if you need any help! Good luck bro
lucky13   +1y
okay, ill try that tommorow... but on the passenger side the casle nut wasent even a nut it was round and rusty so i just grinded it down flush to the control arm, do you think with a bolt sitting on top of it and tapping it through would work?

thanks for the info, im sure ill be asking plenty of questions along the way.
maz89   +1y
yeah, that'll work fine, and if it's the lower control arm, get a jack or block of wood or something to place under the hub of the spindle to hold the spindle sturdy, that should help with the balljoint to get more of a forced blow ya know.....
lucky13   +1y
okay, also i was thinking about taking the back leafs off, should i do that or should i wait till i put my 4 link on, i dont want to missaline it or anything.
lucky13   +1y
teaser pics...

thread post photo

check out the drag marks...lol
thread post photo
lucky13   +1y
i was going to cut the hump on the lower control arms off and angle the uppers but this got in the way...

upper...
thread post photo

lower
thread post photo

the left sides castle nuts were just plain not comming off, so i had to cut the nut off on the lower and cut the bolts on the upper balljoint, ive tryed beating them with a hammer and they just wont come udone from the spindle?
maz89   +1y
well there is a good bit of rust and corrosion on them babys.... have you tried the balljoint spliter yet?
sdime98   +1y
wow..thats a hell of a project...more than i'd wanna take on...but looks like you're off to a good start, mind if i ask how much you paid? also is that a 2.8 or a 4.3?
lucky13   +1y
havent tried the splitter, what do they look like?

got it for $375, 2.8