Page 1 of 2
Mazda Engine General \  Oil from valve cover to breather

Oil from valve cover to breather

Mazda Engine General Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 6005
replies 16
following 12

prwmetalman   +1y
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey, this site seems like it coud be very helpful to me. I just bought a 1989 B2200 extra cab truck for, get this, $100, yes one-hundred dollars!
The body is in mint condition, and the engine runs but I'm getting oil in the breather cover pretty bad and I was hoping to get some advice. Please help.
juicedmazda   +1y
sounds like blow by to me how mine miles are on it mite wont to check your pvc to see if it is stop up
pont   +1y

good place to start, there is also a gasket on the under side of the valve cover. It could be bad allowing oil to get up there. and then sucked up into the breather.
prwmetalman   +1y
thanks for the advice I will check on it this weekend
saggio   +1y
I'm getting oil entering my intake box from the valve cover breather hose and gunking up the inside of the intake box where the filter is.
Besides replacing that small white little filter, what else would be a solution to this?

Has anyone done anything to prevent this?
hocbj23   +1y
be sure PCV valve is ok.sounds like u r getting a lot of blow by and it may be time for new valve seals.BJ
minime   +1y
I get oil in that small box with the filter too.
hawaiian   +1y
I dont come here often but I sure could use some help and its similar to this old post. I am having this same problem with oil in my air cleaner. The oil is coming from the breather hose past that little square filtert hingy in the air cleaner. I have read alot of post saying it could be my piston rings. The truck runs really great and no signs of smoking. Its an 89 with 75000 miles. This is driving me nuts because the truck runs really well except for my air cleaner filling up with oil and then leaking out on to the engine. I notice its worse after a freeway trip. I also read that it could be baffles under my valve cover??? And yes I checked my pcv valve and hoses.
mxer201   +1y
I had the same problem with an 87 B2600, oil in the air cleaner housing. It had close to 180k miles on it when a ring broke. I replaced all of them and no more oil in filter housing. I know this is not what you want to hear but it was my experience.
xulf13   +1y
Yup, rings need to be replaced. There is no other way around it, unless you get a catch can with a breather to collect the oil. ( ia had that a while back) you are probably noticing excesive blowby when your rpms are close to or past 3,000. When the rings are worn or cracked, then you get extra pressure sipping past the rings down to the oil pan where the crank is, and it pushes back up and creates a slosh as it rises back up to the head inside your valve cover and that goes up that little hose on top of the valve cover onto your carb intake. If you were to just put a nifty little filter you will not get oil in the carb but you would end up having to clean your engine every other day depending on how bad it is. Change the oil rings and that will solve the problem. The big valve seal myth and pcv valve will not solve this problem. Of course you need to make sure that the pcv valve is good, but that will not stop it alone.