threads
Page 1 of 1
Mazda Engine General \  MSD Ignition Anyone???

MSD Ignition Anyone???

Mazda Engine General Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 4606
replies 10
following 6

devb22   +1y
Anyone running MSD Ignition Parts on there B-Series? I have a B2200 and am looking into MSD, Accell, so any input would be helpful?

Thanks,

Dev
oddballracing   +1y
I ran an MSD 6A ignition and a Blaster 2 (I think) on my truck before I swapped the motor. To tell the truth, the biggest performance I saw was when I swapped in the Pacesetter header. If you DO get one, do yourself a favor and go for the ceramic coating. Mine rusted and looked crappy in just a matter of weeks.
drpdmazda   +1y

i had the same set up and put in hotter plugs and better wires as well and really didnt see much of a difference if any, until i did the swap like you mentioned, pacesetter header and weber carb, and yes either get the ceramic coated one or get yours powder coated, mine rusted real quick and i ended up getting another one shortly there after
maztang (ryan)   +1y
you really have to watch what kind of plugs you run on just a regular carb'd eng. you don't want to go putting platinum plugs on a carb'd eng. you will foul them out quick. my bro-in-law put platinums in his carb'd 350 and man, i learned a lot from that experience, we ended up rebuilding the carb, dist., and changed wires. he said he had just replaced the plugs so we didn't even start there. but we went straight to the auto parts store and got the cheapys. he has been running on those for the past year.
devb22   +1y
Well, I talked with MSD and we came up with a solution. I am going to run the following:

MSD Blaster Ignition P/N 5900
MSD Blaster 2 Coil P/N 8202

After all was said and done it was $150.88 and the price of the MSD 6A/6AL is around $240-260....

I ran MSD Ignition on my RX-7 and I really didn't notice all that much, so I sold it all and bought a header, apexi safc2, and some misc other things. After awhile I repurchased the MSD parts and noticed a huge difference, WIERD I thought....

Anyways for a $150 I am willing to try it out, and if it doesn't make a huge difference then oh well, I have a sweet looking setup that will catch the eyes of others! Thanks fo ryour thoughts guys and I will let you know how the install goes.....

See ya!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS
nytrdr24   +1y
i got the accel 300+ universal setup for $215 @ summit, don't know how it will improve the performance as i'm still getting my engine built. all told, i got the accel setup, a new dizzy from rpmz performance ($400), taylor 8mm wires ($50), & will run some NGK plugs.....i haven't been able to find a true performance dizzy for these trucks, but the only other option than a mallory, accel, taylor (or other brand) is a setup that paeco offers, which will change the points setup to an optical type & has the hotter ignition & coil for @ $300 i think...i may end up changing to it if the accel doesn't work good.
devb22   +1y
Seems like a nice setup! I guess we will both see when the installation is complete!

Dev
maztang (ryan)   +1y
man, i must have been really tired or something. i don't know why the hell i wrote what i did. even though what i said happened, i was talking about plugs, and you are talking about everything else. i am so glad i am on vacation for the next 10 days. i can finally get some sleep. haha.
devb22   +1y

Maztang, its cool bro-ham! I have to say once again that I am diggin' the truck! So, much that I just searched around the local listing to see if any b2000 are for sale! Haha

Anyway, I did the install on the ignition and coil this morning and though I have yet to drive it I have definitely noticed a difference when starting it up! WOW, I don't know if it was just me but other people just haven't seen a difference!

Well, Happy Holidays and I will post pics and maybe a write-up after the holidays!

Later!
Lesscline21   +1y
Just curious on how your install was setup? Just recently rebuilt my b2200 an tried to add a 6al box but can't get it to fire. No spark. Any chance someone could post a picture of how theirs is wired. Or what wiring diagram you used.
Page 1 of 1