threads
Page 1 of 2
Mazda Engine General \  Swap Question. Any input will be GREATLY appreciated!

Swap Question. Any input will be GREATLY appreciated!

Mazda Engine General Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 2008
replies 14
following 3

mpenner49   +1y
I know this has been beat with a stick but i really didn't find the anwsers I was looking for so Please read it before saying not another V* swap Question. PLEASE!

I Wanta Swap in a 350 SBC into mine. I Can But the kit But anyone have first hand knowledge of how difficult this is? What kinda parts i would need after the motor was in ( Speedo, Gas Tank, Anything!!)? I wanta do this but i also wanta be prepared!! Or is there another option with is as good or better then this idea? 302? should I do EFI or Carb I just looking for some helpful advice!! Any Input will be GREATLY appreciated!!!
mazda tech   +1y
I have helped swap eng in old Nissan's and Vegas no Mazda's hooker headers had a kit for the fire wall and headers that would fit around the steering. I don't know if they make a Mazda kit or even make the kit we used. you'll want to use the V8 trans and the first thing that broke on our project was the rear end we swapped a 9 " ford later. the chev eng has a lot of oil pans avable but with the dist in the rear and there can be clearance problems. None fuel inj is easer to hook up no computer and min wiring. Dose your state require smog check and are you planning on making it smog legal? Bottom line is if this is what you want there is a way to do it. I would check out summit racing they sale a plastic V8 block that has all mounting points so you can line things up before trying to set a 2 to 300 lb chuck of iron in

Good Luck
mpenner49   +1y
I know that they make a swap kit for the motor for SBC and SBF. I am just wondering that if I go and swap this will I have to swap out other parts like P/S and Gauges? Would I have to custom make a new cluster for speedo,fuel, temps, and other goodies? I know stuff like radiator and fan needs to be swaped but was wondering what other kinda stuff has to be swaped to?

Is it better to use a EFI (even though there is some wiring? one EFI motor better to use then others?) or just go Carb and all it takes is a lil tuning and go?

AND NO SMOG STUFF IN REQUIRED IN MY STATE
mpenner49   +1y
Need some advice!!! and HELP!!!!
mazda tech   +1y
Temp gauge will work if you use your sending unit may have to adapt a fitting fuel tank should work has plenty of room so fuel gauge will be OK. P/S ALT can be adapted Speedo can be calibrated . I use chev one wire ALT's on many car's I even have one on my 65 Mustang cleans up a lot of wiring. As for inj or carb how good are you at wiring and trouble shooting EFI. Remember on EFI it's not just a eng and computer its fuel pump, larger fuel lines air flow meters O2 sensors not to mention check eng light and data link connectors so you can test your system when "and trust me I work on them" something go's wrong. Don't get me wrong EFI is more efficient but you can't beat a carb for simple and price. Don't for get your adding weight also so your going to have to beef up your front end also .

Have Fun
pont   +1y
im gone go with the 302 stroked to a 347 why cuase not meny 347 trucks running around my town anthor reason is i heard to meny storys on the 350 haveing room issies were as the 302 does not
mpenner49   +1y
OK, I am thinking I am gonna use a Carb 302 instead of 350 because of the fact about size and I hear that 302 are better choice for our trucks. Now my engine now is EFI or may be TBI if thats what they call it. So this means the the fuel pump in the tank now is gonna send to much pressure right? I mean I have couple kegs laying round i could cut and weld 2 together to fit ined for a tank if my stock won't work. I kinda like keg idea anyways. Now I will be able to recabibrate my Speedo for a ford tranny? Now IF i have the powersterring rack in it, the only thing that will change is the pump and i should be able to work that together with right fittings and hoses? And as for beefing up my front end, do you mean like sturdier srings or what? I kinda like that racked looked where the ass end is lil higher then front. Would just putting motor in make it do that? Any other lil surprised I should know of before I start digging in? I know I need difrent water pump, fan, and radiator. Might just try to make radiator out of the donor car of the engine and tranny work as the one in the truck or is there another type or kind i should look for?
mpenner49   +1y
Im sorry if I seem annoying Im not really trying to be Its just I wanna do my truck justice not just throw it together and rig it to work I wanna this to me a good swap. Just lookign to find out what else would I need!
pont   +1y
not at all man i would give you more info but as of right now i have none will find out as i go but for the tranny you need to know if your going auto or 5speed. if its a auto pick you up a nice C4 and 5speed get you a T5. i would go with the T5WC myself as for the rearend the stock mazda one will hold but for how long is a differnt story i plan to get a ranger rearend from a 04 cuase its 8.8 and the ranger is about the same width as a mazda. you can buy a kit for the swap but with a little time you can make your own mounts. the rad just see how big the hole is and take it to the parts store and tell them i need a rad this tall by this wide for a 302 look at what thay got and pick the one that fits best
mpenner49   +1y
yea. I planned on probbly buy the mounts, Just wanted to know what other stuff I would need, If I am goin from EFI to Carb the Fuel Tank is not gonan work because of the fuel preasure? Steering Stuff gonna be able to work if I just get right fittings and hose for the steering rack? And do I really need to beef up front end or safety reasons or apperance because front end will dip? And Will I be able to adapt the stock cluster to work or is it easyir to make new gauge setup?