threads
Page 1 of 1
Mazda Engine General \  Keeps dying until "warmed up"?

Keeps dying until "warmed up"?

Mazda Engine General Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 1339
replies 9
following 7

lowlyfe83   +1y
i just bought an 89 cabplus about a week ago and after i start the truck, it runs for a few seconds and then dies, starts right back up and then dies again if i dont have the gas pedal down. after a few minutes of being ran it stays problem free. anybody have any ideas? its a b2200 model.
mark   +1y
check vacuum lines, something is leakin or unplugged
mark   +1y
take yer air cleaner off and go from there, just trace all the lines, and see if they are unplugged
thetornado   +1y
have you modified the intake or your headers at all?
rollinslow   +1y
Is it carbed or F.I. ?
midnightmike   +1y
sounds like the electronic choke isnt working
eksessivdragger   +1y
mines been doing it for the last month or so. i havent had time to fuck around with it, but i believe midnightmike is right, its the electronic choke if its carbed
thetornado   +1y
I had problems since i put my pacesetter headers on. since you eliminate some of the intake for that i beleive it doesnt get as much warm air into the carb and the choke wont heat up at as fast which makes it drop until its all warmed up.
so what are you guys saying about the electric choke then?
lowlyfe83   +1y
yes its carbed, and completely stock....
do i need to replace the choke or what can i do to fix it, i am by no means a mechanic. i can pull a motor and do some external engine work but thats it. any idea on the cost as well?
89b2200   +1y
Try this to check if the choke works. The choke enriches the mixture on cold start up.
1. Before you start the motor in the morning, remove the air intake top cover. Look at the carb butterfly valve. It should be open.
2. Go inside the cab then floor the gas pedal once. (If you know the throtle cable in the engine compartment, you can also do it there). Look into the carb opening, the butterfly valve should close. (choke closed)
3. Start the motor without stepping on the gas. It should start at a little higher than the set idle rpm, maybe 1500 rpm. If not the fast idle needs to be adjusted. It is the screw under the carb close to the vaccum connection to the firewall side.
4. Once the motor is running, the electric choke wire that connects to the alternator is powered up so the electric choke gets heated up. If not, the wire connector is dirty. Clean the wire connector and alternator terminal. Once the engine is up to operating temp, blip the gas pedal once and the idle should drop to 850 rpm. The butterfly valve (choke) should open.
That's how the electric choke works.
Page 1 of 1