Page 1 of 1
Mazda Engine General \  engine troubles

engine troubles

Mazda Engine General Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 1089
replies 5
following 2

payner22   +1y
i have a 86 b2000 and it failed emissions and is now off the road i was lookin under the hood and there is a wire coming off the carb which i figured is the choke wire so i tried hooking it up to a positive and from what i could see the choke did nothing and it didnt help and i also noticed that there is a sensor in the exhaust manifold whith the wire cut < i think it is a o2 sensor also i noticed a wire coming from the transmission case that had been cut too

now going back to the carb wire problem i had talked to a couple mechanics who told me that that if that wire was not hooked up that the choke wouldnt kick in and that the high idle cam would then kick in causeing excess fuel to be burned therefore the reason i failed emissions

any help would be much apreciated
mark   +1y

yes u need to hook up that O2 sensor wire...computer relies on it to keep the mixture right....once you hook it up, test it...what u do is get your truck to running temperature and get a voltage meter and see what voltage the O2 sensor is putting out....mazdas use single wire O2's, and the range is from .1 volt to 1volt. you want around a .5 to .6......see if it is below .5, that means it is rich, if it is above .6, it is lean

im not too sure if they are right about the choke ordeal...because alll that wire does is powers the choke....all the choke does is lets your motor warm up with a rich mixture on starts.......i have disconnected mine plenty times, i dont run my choke in the summer because it doesnt get cold...but the choke shouldnt mess with your regular idle if it is disconnected

what you may want ot check out is the vacuum lines all around the carburetor....make sure they are all connected, or if not...plug them...i just recently got my truck running right, 2hrs ago....i thot it was the 02 sensor, all kinds of shit, carburetor, yada yada, but it was just 3 vacuum lines popped out....they were old so i replaced em because they keep popping out...runs normal now

but damn that sucks about your truck gettin kicked off the road bro, im glad i aint gotta go thru it
payner22   +1y
yah i know there is one vacume line that isnt there i will try to find were it is supposed to go if not i will cap it and hopefully i can figure were to hook up the o2 sensor
mark   +1y
for the O2 sensor wire..there should be a harness somewhere under the carb....mine is near the big harness in that side

its not a big harness atg all, its just a 1 wire harness, prolly half inch wide...i dunno if yers will be this color, but mine is green
payner22   +1y
yah i looked all around and could not figure out were it goes i have the hanes manual too but i could not find any wiring diagrams for that?
mark   +1y
take yer air cleaner off bro, and take a pic around the carb and post it here
Page 1 of 1