threads
Page 1 of 1
Mazda Engine General \  Hi flowing intakes?

Hi flowing intakes?

Mazda Engine General Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 1110
replies 5
following 3

knightscape   +1y
Anyone have suggestions on intake options for the 3.0L engines? The K&N kit only claims to add around 4 hp. Howbout just a drop in filter, anyone using the K&N or Amsoil filters?
rollinslow   +1y
I am not familiar with the 3.0 ltr's but just using a drop in filter like a K&N should make some noticable difference. Or if you have a flat side on your air box that faces the front of the truck you could do a deckplate. A deckplate is basically a round plate that is used on boats that has a screw off cover to gain access. You need about 7 inches of flat surface to mount one. I have one on my tacoma and it works great. All the performance results of a K&N FIPK at a fraction of the cost. $10 for the deckplate and $40 for the K&N filter.
knightscape   +1y
I'm kind of looking at a drop in filter and adding some duct since there are no kits That I've found. The hole in the front of the box is behind the headlight, if I duct over to the grille opening I should be able to get some good flow from there.
baha   +1y
Ive replaced the one in my 4.0L first with just filter, then I did the whole intake, I don't think you realy feel any difference atleast I didn't - it did sound a little bit different though
rollinslow   +1y
Here is a pic of the deckplate mod done for my tacoma. The large opening sits right behind my headlight and makes a world of difference. If you have a flat enough surface to add one, That is what I would do. It has a cover that screws on to close it off if you take your truck offroading and threw water. All you have to do is when you screw it on use a sealer to keep the edges water proof.
knightscape   +1y
That looks pretty good. I'll have to check my surface area, not sure if my box is as big as that. I had a full out K&N open element cone kit on my old Dodge, it never gave me anything noticable as far as seat of the pants [sounded cool], but it did give me a 6% boost in mpg indicating that it made a few horses. If I can get a slight increase for a few bucks, that's good enough for me.
Page 1 of 1