Page 1 of 1
General Discussion \  Questions/issue

Questions/issue

General Discussion
views 1709
replies 7
following 3

mikedee   +1y
I just found this forum, and there's a lot of people here that understand this truck. I have a '91 B2600i that I bought used that I've had for at least 5 years. I have some questions about this truck, as to what is normal or not:

1. Brakes: they don't appear to be very powerful and seem to take longer than I wish to stop. The booster seems to work OK (passes the tests in the Haynes manual). The brakes were replaced at Valvoline, F&R a few years ago and so were the rotors. That didn't improve the braking (but did fix the shaking caused from warped rotors). I kind of think this is normal for this truck. The pedal does seem low to the floor (it always has), but the brakes don't need bleeding. I also had the brake system flushed an bled and the master cylinder replaced; still no difference. I bought some ceramic pads, but haven't installed them yet, thinking that they will be better.

2. Steering: play in the steering box. There's an adjustment on the box, but the lock nut is tight to the threaded adjustment rod and I can't get it loose from the rod to tighten it. Can it be removed entirely from the box so I can free the nut, or will that totally screw up the steering box?

3. Noisy: The exhaust system is tight (no leaks) but is all original. The truck has about 150K miles on it. Can the innards of the muffler be rotted out (worth it to replace).

4. Interior: From sitting outside in the California sun, the door panels and the vinyl on the seats are shot. Any source for replacements?

5. Slight coolant leak: Can't find an external leak. Any tips on where to look? Radiator is pretty new (Mazda radiator and new thermostat; much better than the cheap Napa radiator I put in before that didn't fit right and ran hot) I don't see any coolant in the oil.

6. Valve tappet noise: From reading the postings on this board, even replacing the lifters doesn't cure the problem. It only happens if I haven't used the truck for a few days. I tried different quality oils and additives; nothing seems to work. The noise eventually goes away after driving the truck for a while.

That's all I can think of for now. Thanks!
Cusser   +1y

If there's no external coolant leak, limited to 3 choices: coolant leaking into engine, coolant leak evaporating, or leak inside the dash/heater core.

Wash off engine real good, take for a decent ride, then look for leak in the engine area. Then wait 15 minutes and check again. You can add special UV dye if you have special UV light and yellow glasses, sometimes that helps when you use when somewhat dark out.

Maybe get loaner pressure tool and pressurize through the radiator cap to try to find leaks.
mikedee   +1y
I also have the original O2 sensor. The check engine light has never come on, so I never replaced it. Should I anyway? (150K miles, 1991 truck).
dan woodland   +1y
Welcome! Post pictures of out truck sad projects. We are all picture whores.

mikedee   +1y
How can I tell what type of door panels I have? The front end is in good shape. I had the wheel alignment done and they looked for worn components. It's the steering box for sure.
dan woodland   +1y

Post a picture...

This is the standard panel.

thread post photo
mikedee   +1y
Not the ones I have. Mine curve at the top.
dan woodland   +1y
Yours are upgraded door covers... you may want to try finding a place to recover or make new ones. They are pretty hard to find in great shape.

Page 1 of 1