threads
Page 1 of 2
General Discussion \  Torsion Bar HELP!!

Torsion Bar HELP!!

General Discussion
views 3386
replies 10
following 2

mistah_tattoo   +1y
Hi guys

I have spent hours going through reindexing t-bar, static drop, lower LCA, drop spindles threads etc looking for a little guidance on reindexing my torsion bars. I have done it before with no hassle but im stuck on my 96 PC Courier, dual cab. I can't wind my adjustment bolts down to get the tension off my t-bar to remove them from LCA. A mate said to disconnect shock so the LCA can get lower, that didn't work.

Should I take the sway bar off will that help me? Is the sway bar necessary? I know 4wd guys take them off and chuck em.

If there's anything you can think of that i may be missing id love to hear from you. Wanna get this truck low, hate riding so high like this. Please help me out fullas! Will put pics up of truck once I figure out how.

Cheers.
sincitylocal   +1y
You may have to put a jack under the LCA and remove a ball joint, then lower the jack.
mistah_tattoo   +1y

Cheers bro. I'm half way through doing that now. Putting new shorter shocks in and removing bumpstops also. Was going to just take them out cut them down but snapped the bolts getting them out. its been testing lol
mistah_tattoo   +1y
Ok so I thought I had it sorted by undoing the top ball joint and lowering the LCA but I still can't get the adjustment bolt undone completely to allow me to remove and reindex the torsion bar. There still seems to be tension on the T-bar. At this stage I have wound down t-bar adjuster bolt as much as it will physically go, shocks out, top ball joint disconnected, sway bar disconnected even have the 2 bolts holding the front of the t-bar out but can not for the love of me get the load off the t-bar. What am I missing guys???

Does the t-bar adjustment bolt screw right out? It's hard to see up on top of the bolt but it looks as though it's burred over. I'm thinking that's why I can't wind that bolt right out as it's just turning the half moon nut up the top now and I don't want to turn that and have it pull through with tension on the t-bar.

What am I missing or doing wrong? Helppppppppp
sincitylocal   +1y
How about some pics?
mistah_tattoo   +1y
I'll take some now. I've got the tension off the T-bar now I'm just stuck getting the adjustment bolt out (wound out) so I can take the torsion bar out and reindex it.

I thought I would just cut the adjustment bolt so got the grinder out and the only disk I have here wasn't long enough to get in and tour the bolt. I took that as a sign not to cut them there must be a way lol.
mistah_tattoo   +1y
thread post photo

I hope these help. It's probably quite simple what I'm doing wrong but I can't figure it out.
sincitylocal   +1y

That little mushroom top is a rubber dust cover. The other one looks like it's missing. Either way, it looks like you're going about it the right way. It also looks like you've given them a good soaking in penetrating oil, so maybe you just need to let it sit for a while.
mistah_tattoo   +1y
Thanks for your help sincitylocal I ended up getting the drivers side off reindexed and back in and moved on to the passenger side. Cranked the adjustment bolt a couple of times and it snapped, nearly broke my hand when the torsion bar hit it. Lesson learnt! I should have dropped the balljoint lowering the LCA to relieve some tension. Anyone reading this, be careful guys. I escaped with a sore thumb, could have been a lot worse.