Page 1 of 2
General Discussion \  Cruise Control Help

Cruise Control Help

General Discussion
views 2303
replies 10
following 3

crazycracker   +1y
Hi, hoping someone can help. I'd love to have wiring diagrams and vacuum diagrams that show what all is encompassed in the cruise control system and how it works. This is for a 1987 B2600. I've done an engine swap to a 302 Ford and now trying to get things hooked up and working. I've cut or removed most of the vacuum stuff from the drivers side fender well, but I have not thrown it out. I don't know which parts of it are emissions control stuff that I don't need, and which of it is Cruise Control stuff that I would like to reconnect and have in working order.
dan woodland   +1y
I'd suggest buying an aftermarket, you'd be up and running in one afternoon ...
Cusser   +1y
I have a 2003-vintage aftermarket cruise control in my '88 B2200, and a more-modern Rostra aftermarket cruise control in my 2004 Frontier.

You want the Rostra universal unit, the one that works for vehicles with accelerator cable-controlled engines.

" target="_blank
Post was last edited on May 20, 2015 08:05. This post has been edited 1 times.
crazycracker   +1y
Well it already has cruise control. Why would it be better to buy an aftermarket unit than to connect the one I already have?
dan woodland   +1y
Sorry but I should have asked for more details on your swap as I assumed you pulled the old harnesses etc... As for why, I'd say much easier for one, faster for two (a lot less work splicing etc) and three external to any wiring you did leave in it.

crazycracker   +1y

Well I just got the Haynes manual, it seems to have more in-depth wiring diagrams than the Chiltons does, I may be able to figure out what I have wrong, however there's not much about how & which vacuum lines work with the cruise control in either manual, and I assume it has a few because it looks the actuator unit on the fender wall is controlled by vacuum. It's a pickle for sure..
dan woodland   +1y
There is only one vacuum line on the 87-93 units. I found a NOS unit a couple years ago - luckily my truck was prewired, same as yours since you already had it. The brain box picks up the speed from the cluster.

Here is a discussion on it and another install on an EFI truck.

I ran a vacuum line to the intake manifold as per the instructions.

If you left the harness intact you shouldn't have trouble with electrical and vacuum. biggest challenge would be to connect to the new carb.
crazycracker   +1y

I don't remember a seperate cable for it, on my vehicle it looks like the cable goes into the cab and pulls the accelerator assembly which in turn depresses the carburetor linkage.
dan woodland   +1y

Yep, that is the same setup as the EFI trucks. You may be all set then... run a new vacuum line and try it.
crazycracker   +1y

I had everything connected and tried it out, but it did not work. However reading the Cruise Control thread in the link earlier I see that the minimum speed is ~30mph and I am not sure if I had the speedo up to that or not (truck is not the road but I was garage testing it). I will have to try this again and make sure I'm above that speed to try it out.