General Discussion \  Towing with fe3 swap

Towing with fe3 swap

General Discussion
views 1442
replies 5
following 4

vitamin jank   +1y
Sup everyone!

Just wondering if anyone with a fe3 swapped truck has done any towing with it?

I was intrigued when I saw sciroccoboi16v's thread & noticed the picture of him towing a small car with his truck (my trucks twin!) & this separate YouTube clip with what I assume are stock engines.

So I see its doable, but probably not very well or for too long of a distance. So im wondering how much better do fe3s stack up against similar towing.

I was already considering the swap in the near future anyway & hearing good news will give me more motivation.
While were on the subject. Any of you fe3 swapped guys have any performance mods done? Cams? Header? Intake etc?
vitamin jank   +1y
Anyone?
applianceguy   +1y
I towed a pop up camper with no problems, but they are very lightweight.
befarrer   +1y
I dont have an FE3, but I have an engine way less towing friendly, rotary, but just last week, I towed our 10ft tent trailer, and I had a quad in the back of the truck, our 2 dogs, and my wife. Total weight of the truck and trailer was just under 5900lbs lol. I was able to maintain 50MPH in 5th on the highway going into a head wind. Other than really horrible fuel mileage (80 miles to half a tank), seemed to do good.
scotch   +1y
I'm sure an FE3 would have ample power to tow. But just remember, whether you have an 85hp stock engine, 140hp FE3 engine, or a 300hp V8 swap, if you have too much weight behind the truck, then your tow-load becomes the dog, and you become that tail, and it can and will wag you like this trailer did to this driver.

Just make sure you keep it at a safe speed.
befarrer   +1y
The biggest concern is proper weight distribution. These new half tonnes are rated for something like 10,000lb towing, and those trucks weigh 2X as much as a B2200, so the same trailer weight to truck ratio would put the B2200 at 5,000lbs trailer weight. But if all the weight is at the back of the trailer, or at the front, then you will have issues.
Page 1 of 1