threads
Page 1 of 2
Dually Suspension \  New 20" wheels from American Eagle just installed. NOT happy

New 20" wheels from American Eagle just installed. NOT happy

Dually Suspension Dually Tech
views 9580
replies 11
following 6

aleman   +1y
So I ordered this bad boys about 3 moths ago and they finally came in a few days ago. I was anxious to get them on and remove the old 16" wheels the previous owner had.

First of, the rear wheels are way too wide that they make the tires come out past the fenders and I rally dont like that. I wanted them inside the fender so I can latter bag it. I was wondering if anyone has had past experiences with wheels being too wide and how to correct them. I am sure that I am stuck with them and the best way to fix it is by extending the fenders but how do you extend the fenders. If you look on the rear view you will see that the tires are way too far apart. It looks kinda funny, kinda like the truck is humping another truck LOL.

Any imput? Tell me what you think?

From the side the truck looks awesome..

thread post photo

thread post photo

Aleman
jcampbell1180   +1y
What the frack?

One of the main selling points of these wheels was that they were supposed to tuck under the fenders.

Do you know if you have the wide track rear end? Not sure what the RPO# is, but IIRC, Krewzlo has it on his truck. Don't remember the exact specs offhand, but I think the wide track extended the WMS out 2" from "standard" DRW specs.

Krews or Someotherguy ought to be able to chime in.
someotherguy   +1y
Wide track rear axle RPO is 5T2

I still say no matter what they can't make the wheels tuck on a lowered truck without a major redesign. Aluminum wheels have a thicker flange so that's a minus already. Running a pair of them vs. an aluminum outer and steel inner compounds the problem. Then the amount of dish a dually wheel has is extreme.

I dunno. Aleman, where'd you order the wheels? Is it possible they sent you 4 outers? It was my understanding the inners were different to help them fit better.

Richard
jcampbell1180   +1y
That's now two photos of these wheels mounted that indicate fender clearance issues.

Lock said they tuck under the fenders on the OBS he tested them on. And check out post 9 in this thread. Look like they tuck to me, but I can't tell definitively.

surfrat1960   +1y
This sucks!!! I thought the inner wheel was suppose to have something done to it to keep from having them stick out??? Looks like I am canceling my set!
alkyman   +1y

from what i have seen there is 4.5" between the wheels that is the problem. my 19.5's have 2.5" between the outer alum. and steel inner but the steel has a larger lip on it the outside edge of my tire is still .5 in from the fender edge.if the new 20's had 2.5 between them it may still not tuck but it would be a hole lot better.thats what i was saying on the other thread
looking at his photos you can see 2." would make a world of difference. i know they can't make a one size fits all wheel though
alkyman   +1y
aleman
what size tire is that?
aleman   +1y
Hey fellas,

Let me answer all the questions in one post.

NO, I dont have the wide axle 5T2.

I own a repair shop and we also sell wheels and AE is one of our suppliers. I ordered these for a customer a long time ago. BUT they took so long to come in that the customer cancelled his order so I said, what a heck! Ill just wait for them and use them my self.... How I regret that decision.

No I didnt get 4 outers. They wont work like that and besides , they are stamped.

The tires are 255/35/20

I looked at the pics of the black truck posted by katkatcher#1 and they look like they are fitting the same way as mine.

I really dont want to extend the fenders... UHGG!

I just got off the phone w my AE rep and he is gonna do some checking..

Aleman
someotherguy   +1y
Other than drastically redesigning the wheel so it has less dish and the two rears fit closer to each other, I don't see how you solve the problem from the wheel perspective. Gotta have some thickness to the flange for strength.

It's a little tough to say more without a truck and several different wheels in front of me to play with but I don't see how you solve this problem with *just* wheels. IMO other mods will be needed to tuck 4 aluminum wheels.

Also...I haven't been keeping up with these but did AE make any specific claims about how these were supposed to fit? Trevor said they "should" tuck on a square, not a GMT400 - and katkatcher said his buddy thought they would tuck on a GMT400, that's not anything positive, and not an official statement.

Not trying to get any digs in on you Aleman just sayin', I wasn't ever under the impression these would be a simple bolt-on to tuck 4 aluminum 20's on a GMT400 truck. It would be damn nice if they were, but as you're already painfully aware...ain't happenin'.

Richard
krewzlo   +1y
The widetrack option is gty as i remember right, mine has it and has been a pain in the ass since day one. Never really found out where the differences are between the non widetrack and the widetrack trucks, no one really seems to know much about them. I do know that my 19's didnt tuck either but on non wt trucks they did...