89 GMC Crew

Dually Projects
views 4204
replies 10
following 5

bluex   +1y
Heres my new to me 89 GMC

thread post photo

Three days after I got it a jerk in a F250 was way over on my side of the road and smashed the mirror for me. I got over as far as I could without putting my truck in the ditch. I had the window down so me and the interior got covered with glass. I spent about an hour cleaning it up and I'm still finding pieces. I'm now planning to replace these mirrors with the stock style mirrors that everyone calls dumbos. I have them turned in closer to the truck now but the passenger side one is useless as the bar at the back of the vent window goes right through the middle of the mirror.

thread post photo

thread post photo

Anyway it needs a little work but its pretty solid overall. I'm working on putting a radio in it right now as I got it without one. I havent driven it much because the pitman, idler and upper control arm bushings are shot so it has a good bit of play in the steering.

Currently I have the parts to fix that, newer door seals to help with the wind noise (from a 00 dakota) two sets of 95-98 GMT400 60/40 seats to install. I also need to fix the dome and cargo lights and the complete mess of wiring at the back for the multiple trailer hookups.

I'm currently deciding how and how much I want to lower it, a 700R4 swap, wheels and other things.
luifer76   +1y
sorry to hear about the mirror but yeah it looks like a solid truck, nice find!
bluex   +1y
Well got a little work done on it lately. Radio installed an replaced the pitman idler an left upper control arm shaft an bushings. Drives a whole lot better now. Hope to get some new seats put in tomorrow, I'll get some pictures of that if I get to work on it.
bluex   +1y
Been working on getting the seats in. Plan a, b an c failed so regrouping an trying again tomorrow. Got the newer door deals done though, hopefully they help but they were about 6-8" short an the trim is a pain to reinstall since they are a little different. hopefully they are worth the work an quiet the wind noise down.
bluex   +1y
Had no luck so far on the seats. Might try again but it will be after the first of the year probably.

In the mean time the rear widow glass channels were shot resulting in tons of wind noise. I pulled everything out, tinted the glass an painted the division bar. Still have to put the panels back on inside but had to stop for the day. I think it turned out good for my first time tinting, there are some spots that aren't perfect but I'm not complaining for $17. I'll grab another roll to do the slider Monday or Tuesday.

thread post photo

Another picture I took the other day just because

thread post photo
frito-bandito   +1y
Hey P2, I made an account here just to follow your progress! Can't wait to see what your gonna do with this beast!
bluex   +1y

Thanks Tim. It wont be a quick build thats for sure so you might be disapointed...
getsum   +1y
You still wanting the dumbo mirrors?
bluex   +1y

I would have been but I ran across a guy who just had to have the truck, so he got it last night. Appricate the offer though...

Guess this threads done...
giovanni   +1y
That was a cheap build