Dually Projects \  Project: BK2SKWL

Project: BK2SKWL

Dually Projects
views 2838
replies 10
following 5

artsar   +1y
Hey guys.

Been lurking on here for a while but never got my own "Dually" until now. I recently purchased a 2000 GMC School Bus. The plan is to lay it out on 24s or a 22/24 combo with a big U shaped bench seat inside. Basically a bus that looks like a school bus but has a limo feel on the inside. I'm a cabinet maker so the inside is where I hope to show some skills.

The progress will be slow, but hoping to have it laying "body" but mid summer. I'm thinking RE8s all around. Parallel 4 link with a Watts link out back and E-level.

I figured I would throw it up to get advice from you guys with more dually experience as I progress.

Rendering

How it currently sits
thread post photo
ryridesmotox   +1y
Thaaaaaaaaaaat's gonna take a while. Sounds like a project I'd tackle. Good luck and keep us posted
someotherguy   +1y
There's another school bus project going on though the post is kind of old by now; I'll see if I can find it and edit back with the link.

One thing that comes to mind immediately is the seriously limited room you have up front for the wheel to travel when you bag. If I recall he tubbed it as much as he could but there's only so much room to work thanks to the short fender/toeboard area you have with a van body.

OK, found it - "BUSTED" -

Richard
john jones   +1y
This looks like a monstrous project, Good luck man. set goals and try to stick with em.. and keep us updated!
artsar   +1y
Im hoping that the issues they ran into on "Busted" won't be as much of an issue in this body style. I could be completely wrong, but heres hoping that my gut is right. Its just going to be laid out on the stock wheels for now until we figure it all out.
someotherguy   +1y
Yeah it seems like the body is taller with the Savanna/Express van body, vs the old G-van body. Best of luck to you, and keep us posted with progress and pictures!

Richard
luifer76   +1y
man that first pic looks sweet can wait to see the progress as you go keep us posted....
artsar   +1y
Haven't worked on her to much, but the interior is now stripped. Air system wired and plumbed and the side door cut flush to the body. Going to go through it tomorrow and get the air system running. After that its time to install the front bags and go from there.
artsar   +1y
So I figure I'll throw up a picture. I need to dehump the control arms and get drop spindles. On that note anyone know the drop spindles I will need? The bus is a 2000 and the dealer said it was the same spindle as a 1500 chev but I have my concerns about that. I was looking at the Belltech ones for 90-00 Gm 3/4 tonne trucks. Just wasn't sure if anyone could confirm that those spindles would work (#3700). Thanks

Lifted
thread post photo

Aired Out
thread post photo

Rear is to come soon.
artsar   +1y
Got the front drop spindles in and the passenger side sheet metal cut out. Now to move onto the drivers side and have it on the frame. The rear notch and link bars are on their way.